Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Ice conditions

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Was out Friday.  Ice iffy in places, varied form 1 1/2 to 6".  Caught 15 or so nice crappies, and a handful of bluegills.  Don't know what today's rain will do, I'll check it out tomorrow.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Starting to refreeze around edges today.  Hopefully ready by weekend! :)
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Was out today, ice 5-7" thick.  Open water under bridge, safe everywhere else.  East shoreline very productive on the crappies.  Jigs tipped with maggots, fish were in 15 feet of water suspended at 12 feet in and around deadfalls on this shoreline.  Caught some nice ones, would have had the lead in online tourney with a 12" crappie but forgot my card to take a picture.  Hoping to get out again Friday, can't tomorrow have an OSHA class for work all day.  Lake is starting to produce bigger crappies this year.  Use caution around the edges, the first 12-18" is a little soft, take a big step and you'll be fine.

Team Wilcraft!

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
What a mess.  Got out today.  Ice was thick enough, 6-8" under the snow, but moving around was dreadful.  Every step you broke thru a hard crust and had to slog thru 6-8" of watery slush.  Bite was equally foul.  I got some bluegill, the largest being 8 1/4".  Why didn't I post that one in the tourney? ???  Crappie were non existant, caught the one in the tourney, if you can call it a crappie.  Water was murky compared to the last time I was there, and all the snow is not allowing any light thru and slowing down the bite.  I made the mistake of forgetting my glow-in-the-dark baits, don't know if it would have made a difference, though.

Team Wilcraft!

digger

• View Profile
Went to zeppernick lake yesterday Feb. 11. Drilled a hole 30 yards down the boat ramp. Alot of slush and water on top. There was only 4'' of ice 2'' clear. Iwas by myself and it didnt look safe.   Looking for somebody to go out with if conditions improve.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Let me know, I love to fish Zepperneck.  The 2 monster bass in my profile pic came out of Zepperneck.  Where are you at?  I'm in Canton and mostly fish Deer Creek(too much snow to fish now, tried today), and Dale Walborn.  All the snow has a lot of slush and water trapped on the ice and makes moving difficult.  My schedule is fairly flexible except for this weekend and next week, I'll be pertty busy(I think).

Team Wilcraft!

digger

• View Profile
That was a quick reply! Was just about ready to shut off the computer. I am from canton also. I am ready to fish anytime since I havent yet this year. You can call me at 330-904-6215.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I'll be in touch.  Next week is looking rough, I'm pretty busy and don't know if I'll be able to make it out.  I have your # in my phone, let you know when I go.

Team Wilcraft!

digger

• View Profile
Thanks. Got your message. Looks like cold weather for next week. When do you think it will not be slushy out there? I might do a major brake job on my Jeep this week.

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
At this time of the year- there is no waiting for less slushy- if anything the ice is as good as it's going to get unless a miracle happens- now we do have steady cold temps through next week which is always good- if you ask me we have been lucky to not have more thaws and I am anticipating some serious thaws soon as it has been below average pretty much all winter and these things tend to equal out over time. Ice fish now - be safe as this is when most people fall through- last ice is the most unsafe.
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
You got that right.  Both times I went thru were at season's end.  Tried to be greedy and get that one last trip.  Snow is just killing us here, though, and we could get several more inches today.  Deer Creek is my favorite lake, and it is virtually inaccessable.  There are 2' high snow drifts everywhere and 4' snow piles in front of all the access areas.  Digger, if I go this week I will keep you posted.  Don't know if I'll make it out, this will be a catch-up week for all the stuff I put off this winter when I was ice fishing.

Team Wilcraft!

Vexilar