Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Grand Lake Skim Ice Thanksgiving 2013

toadfish

• View Profile
I never in my life would have dreamed that Grand Lake would be covered with skim ice this early!  Now that there is light in the sky, I can see most of the lake has a skim of ice on it.  Hang on Mr. walleye, I'll be out to chase you soon.  I hope there are still some nice size fish and the state will continue stocking them even though the water quality problems persist.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

Salmonid

• View Profile
Last stocking was like 5 years ago wasn't it?? I think the events last year will not be duplicated this winter since the dredge areas have already changed drastically from spring to late summer, Im all over the West end for all the catfish tourneys and those areas really did change.

Im hitting crappies over the last few weeks with some decent sized fish from shore and have recently found a decent area to shore fish from that has a lot of structures im looking forward to hitting through the ice this year... with that said Ill be up next Wed to shore fish and with the highs in the 40's the next several days the skim ice will be gone. Im torn between open water crappies now or hard water bite, this in between will kill us...LOL

Salmonid
PS keep the reports coming

toadfish

• View Profile
Fish from that last walleye stocking that were 23-25" last year will be even bigger this year.  There will be less of them and they will be scattered due to the dredging efforts, making them harder to find.

I am glad someone is able to get out after the crappies.  I missed out this year.  Now we are stuck between ice that is not safe, yet prohibits fishing from boat and shore.  I am so busy with the kids and the job that it doesn't matter anyway.

I'll try to keep IFO folks posted on ice conditions.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

Vexilar