Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Shanty Sled

canfly99 · 18 · 17269

canfly99

• View Profile
For anyone that has pulled a 100+ pound shanty through snow you know what this is for. It lifts the shanty 7" above the ice and when you get to your destination it drops the sled onto the ice in a second. It also folds up for easy transportation.
Check it out:
Shanty Express

chaunc

• View Profile
Are these for sale? If so, where can they be purchased?

canfly99

• View Profile
This is something I just came up with the last couple of days. I have thoughts of building them for sale, but I was waiting to see what kind of interest there might be in them. One problem I may have is they are sort of shanty specific. This one is the prototype which is painted but I would want to have them powdercoated for longevity.

I am still thinking of a price for them.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Yeah, let me know. I'd be interested, looks like we have the same Frabill shanty. Many times up here in NE Ohio we get a lot of snow on the ice and dragging a shanty, even with the hands free harness system I came up with, is tough.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

g

• View Profile
Very cool. Instead of selling assembled units, you could sell plans on building the sled. Hopefully you can make a video of it in the snow so we ca see how it performs. Great idea and it looks like it should work fine. Good luck on whichever route you take.

canfly99

• View Profile
I could sell plans but it is more of a complicated build than it looks. I spent quite a bit of time engineering and building jigs to build these. They would be pretty difficult to build off of plans.

I made up a generic sled last year with the same type skis and it pulls across snow covered ice with very little effort, and that was with all my gear, my buddies gear and everything out of his shanty including the 20+ pound seat and rail system, I was able to glide right along and he was still struggling with an empty shanty.
 I see a lot of people (including me) put snow skis on sleds trying to get them to float on top of the snow, that is alright as long as it is a wet snow but with a drier snow they still want to sink and drag to some extent. the Idea behind my skis is to get them to the ice, that is where you want them, no friction.

g

• View Profile
When you figure out prices, be sure to post them. i imagine there will be many interested people, myself included.

canfly99

• View Profile
I am asking $200, That is for powder coated ones with Hyfax on the skis. These are made from 16 guage 1"X1" square tubing and are very rugged so they can be pulled behind a machine if you like. If someone would like a raw steel one to paint or powder coated themselves I would ask $150. These are custom fit to your sled so measurements from you may be required if I dont have access to one to measure.

chaunc

• View Profile
Can you make one for my fishtrap pro? Not sure of measurements as its still in storage.

canfly99

• View Profile
I will check with some of my buddies and see if any of them have a fishtrap pro. I will ge back with you. It makes it alot easier and better if I have one here when I build them.

canfly99

• View Profile
I live about 5 miles east of Troy when there is no ice, when there is ice I can be found at Indian, Kiser, Loramie....

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Just curious how mines coming and how I should pay you. You take PayPal?  You're a long way from me.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

canfly99

• View Profile
Slabslayer, I finished yours up yesterday,It turned out real nice. Its off to the powdercoater today, when it is done there I will contact you. I do have a paypal account or I can also take CC over the phone. I own a business that I am able to proccess credit cards.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ok, cool, same here.

Team Wilcraft!

Vexilar