Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Just a few thoughts

crv423 · 9 · 6809

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
By no means do I consider myself a pro, but I thought I might throw a few things out there that might help someone just starting to hard water fish, catch a few more fish threw the ice. I have discovered over the years the lightest line you can get away with the more bites you'll get. There is less movement of the water under ice so the water will be much clearer than in the open water season. I always put a barrel swivel 12" above my bait or lure, this keeps your bait from spinning, a fish will not hit a spinning lure. One last thing I always do when ice fishing, I always have a rod with live bait under a bobber next to the line I'm jiggn a lot of the times your lure will attract them but they would prefer a minnow. I hope this helps out, ice fishing is a great, maybe the greatest outdoor sport, and anything I can do to help someone enjoy this sport as much as I do, I will do. If your not sure where to go and what to do hit me up, if I'm going and you want to get out I'm more than happy to tell ya where I'll be, in or around central Ohio. If anyone else would like to add something please do.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Spoken like a true pro crv, I would also like to add something along the clear water lines, if possible tie hooks directly to your line avoid snap swivels and even split shots, or if needed place the split shots 8"-12" up from your bait fish can see them and it looks un natural and can sometimes, but not always lead to them becoming uninterested in your bait and swimming off to roam elsewhere!
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Great post CRV.  For simplicity I'll add 1 thing and somebody else can add others.

For me, my biggest thing to improve catches is to watch the lure to line connection. Most times the fish prefer the lure horizontal. Which means after each fish readjusting your lure back to horizontal. They don't hit a vertical lure near as often as a horizontal one.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
well I don't much but if you have ever watched fish in a tank , or jiggled a lure in it  you already have one step ahead   heehehehe 8)
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

steelneyes

• View Profile
Once ice is relatively safe, and you are pretty sure you won't be swimming,
stay on edges of, or away from the packs of people.  Too often icers esp. when new, think like wolves, everyone is over there, must be the only fish.
The biggest most aggressive fish are quickly taken and with all the commotion above, quickly move on down the line, often leaving the dinks behind to short bite and nip all day long. 
And after safety gear and clothing, get electronics.  Fishing where the fish aren't, or not knowing that they are coming to your lure but won't hit it is the worst thing for one's confidence. 
Spud one, spud two, if it went through, so will you!

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
A camera helps too.  Nothing worse than fishing for a shad school for 3 hours.  Once you find the fish knowing what they are helps a lot!  ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

64toby

• View Profile
I fish a really shallow pond . So i can see my bajt most of the time .I have noticed a ripped up wax worm brings on the bite .So i take my hook and and snag a few holes in them before hooking them on ,try it it works.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sure does!! ;D Releases the scent.

Team Wilcraft!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
yes leaking goo does help a lot, I have this really stinky liquid attractant and a friend of mine is diabetic so I got some empty bottles of insulin and some needles filled the bottles with the stink and injected some wax worms with it , also night crawlers, it works. ;D 
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Vexilar