Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Not an invention but a creative repurpose, keeping gear rust free.

steelneyes

• View Profile
I have several of the zerust boxes from Flambeau.  Since I store my big Lake Erie cranks in the boxes, I have lots of spare dividers they come with.  The dividers are where the zerust is.  After years of finding rusty stuff from the dew at night, snow, general use, I started putting a few dividers in all my boxes, even loose.  Just opened one of my jig boxes that is perfect and you can see where the water dried out in it.  Now does anyone know how to clean up rusty lures or jigs from prior to my find, or are they pretty much ruined?

Spud one, spud two, if it went through, so will you!

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Steel wool works great.  So does a wire wheel on a benchtop grinder.  Hold your jig with pliers and hit the wheel, rust flies off! ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

steelneyes

• View Profile
Will try it tonight!
Thanks!
Spud one, spud two, if it went through, so will you!

E- man

• View Profile
If they're not to bad try soaking them in a little antifreeze then wash with soapy water & rinse. An old tooth brush will help loosen surface rust.

Fishin 2

• View Profile
Chalk, yes, chalk is a great moisture absorbent. I keep a few pieces in my toolboxes along with in my lure boxes, oyu wouldn't believe how clean the metal stays, ps, I use that fat sidewalk chalk, ( pieces the grandaughter leaves out !!! ) Mike
Take a Kid Fishing, You'll need the help Carrying Fish  !!

FrozenBuckeye

• Hard water Hero
    • View Profile
Its been a while but if you didn't find any rust solutions I have a couple, hot sauce is a good home remedy and if u want to spend the extra couple bucks u can get a rust remover from any auto parts store. Soak overnight in either liquid and take some fine grit sandpaper to the hooks and rusted areas then wash with a biodegradable soap (dawn or the like). Hope that helps
A bad day on the ice is better than a good day in the office!

Vexilar