Ice Fish Ohio Forum

need some rod advice

joewallguy

• View Profile
im ready to buy some new rods. Looking for a pan fish rod. Think im getting a J.M. meat stick. Questions i have are what action? Mainly gills,  crappie, n perch. And do i need a spring bobber still with it? I see they have the hi vis tips.  are they good enough to detect those super light bites. Also i have been using those spring bobber that look like an actual spring and i think i cant stand them any more. Do you pro staffers use spring bobbers and if so what kind do i need if at all on my new meat stick? One last thing, i want to go with a fly type reel on it. The eagle claw rly type reels any good? Thanks you

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Regardless of make you have 4 elements to consider action, length, weight, and make. For

Panfish I like the following lineup: fast, short, UL/L/ML, Fiberglass over Carbon Fiber

Action = very fast so much so that the very last eye doesn't have brackets holding it but acts more like a spring bobber eliminating the need for a spring bobber.

Length = many of my friends go big or go home (Jason Mitchell himself quotes "walk softly and carry a big stick" as his motto) I am of the old school (or should I say schooley) and know that the shorter the rod the more control I have over tiny adjustments made in my presentation that are typically the deal breaker with Pannies

Weight (Strength) = Medium/Light If I am jigging a spoon vertically (or ringing the dinner bell) then I go with a medium light rod to not be overwieghted by a heavier spoon like the PK Predator

Light -If I am fishing 6-7mm tungsten I will drop to a Light rod to again balance lure weight, line diameter and presentation

Ultra Light- And when i am fishing micro size 16 jig heads I use an Ultralight rod (even as UL as the palm rods used over seas and sold on our sponsors website www.yourbobbbersdown.com)

Make= There are two types of rod material commonly used on ice fishing rods today- carbon fiber which is popular for its backbone but can be a bit fragile. And fiberglass which don't have as much backbone and are much more limber meaning they will give more on a big fish and not break as often (or when you roll them up in the window, step on them in the shanty, stuff them in your suitcase...I break alot of rods and go with fiberglass rods for that reason:)

With the above said there is a rod for every situation and it is because of that fact that I have 14 rods and my collection is still growing. For Panfish my rods mirror the ones we used back in 1995..and I actually still fish with "ole fathful" today :)
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

joewallguy

• View Profile
Thanks banker. A lot of good stuff in there. I totaly understand what you are saying. I spend most my time out on lake erie chasing walleyes n smallmouth and have many tech. specific rods. I will be considering these tips on future rod purchases.

Anyone ob this site using a meat stick, do you still need a soring bobber?

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I have used the Jason Mitchell meatstick for years and really like it.The Jason Mitchell meatstick is a great Pan-fish rod. 

You do not need to worry about your line getting tangled in the spring.

You do not need a spring-bober for them. The tip is made of a different material than the rod and is very sensitive. It is also colored so you can see it.

I think you will like them.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I also love my Jason Mitchell rods. Of the various ones I own, they're my favorites!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

joewallguy

• View Profile
Thank you. Going to lake st. Clair sunday 1 dayer. Got my fl-18 today :-) and picking up the meat stick sat. Cant wait.

Anyone try the frabill titanium spring bobbers? Watched the video and read a lot of people really like them

Vexilar