Ice Fish Ohio Forum

12/31/13 Ice Report

swedish nipple

• just like fishining out of a barrell
    • View Profile
I went and checked Spencer around 11am to see how the lakes were setting up.
I checked the west ends of the north and south lakes.
North lake at the boat ramp was 2". I didn't go more than a few feet from the ramp. I really didn't feel like getting wet.  The ramp on the north end is situated in a protected cove.
The south lake looked a little different. the edges seemed to take most of the damage from the last warm up we had. The edges of the south lake were only about 1" thick. I grabbed the 8' 1x10 out of my truck. About 8' out the ice was at 2" hard and clear.
Both sides have snow sitting on them. Not sure if that snow with the pending snow we have coming in over the next day or so will help or hurt us. It will either weigh the ice down push water up and refreeze. or worst case insulate the the ice and make it hard to grow.
I won't check again until Saturday as that is the earliest I would see it being ready.
Another update to follow on Saturday.
Everyone be safe and have a Wonderful New year.
Spencer Lake, Wellington, Willard, Chippewa, Oberlin

joewallguy

• View Profile

hewescraftnate

• View Profile
New to the site. Thank you for the report. I from wadsworth area & will post as often as I get out.

swedish nipple

• View Profile
Checked Spencer on 1/4. Ice is sketchy at best. A few spots with 3" 20' out and most spots unable to get on the ice. 1" ice 2-3" slush. The few places that I could get on the ice it was around 3-4" of slush ice mix. Unfortunately these spots were not spots I would recommend fishing. Only 3 fow or less. Hopefully they are wrong about the snow and warm temps. Looks like we will see snow around 3 pm or so.
I am going to try to fish it on Tuesday. Bitter cold and wind included.

swedish nipple

• View Profile
Fished Spencer today with deerslayern. Ice was 5-6" and hard all the way from north to south on the south lake. it was cold and the fishing was slow. Although it beat being at work all day. Left with enough to clean for dinner. Caught mostly gills in 6fow on a jammin jig bobber fry in green. Hope to be out there Saturday if the weather holds.

Fishingoat

• View Profile
Hey SN.  Thanks for the report.  New to site.  Been icing since 2004 and have all the gear.  Watch a few sites and joined because thought it was time to give back.  Thinking about hitting Spencer this afternoon if my friend can come.  (Don't want to ice alone too early). Anyway if we hit it, I'll report later.  Did u fish NW by big stump on S end or by docks?   I had really good luck there in past years and just wondering if you could give me a starting point. 
Thanks
Goat
Born to fish.   No plan B.

swedish nipple

• View Profile
Started at the big stump. not much there. Moved to the south shore behind the stump. Had my best luck there in 6 fow. Ice was really growing. Should be a solid 6" by this evening.
I even went to the deep hole on the far south side. 5" there only caught a few small crappie there. Hope this helps.

Fishingoat

• View Profile
 Sure does. Thanks.  Talked to buddy.  Think it's a go.  We're shooting for around 230 if you wana meet up.  Not sure which shack yet.  I usually fish out of a 1 man recon but since 2 of us, I have a clam 2000 and he has a hub.  Well bounce around till we find em.  Thanks for update. Ill post later.  Maybe see you on the ice.  Take care. 

Fishingoat

• View Profile
Fished South end from 3-7.  5+ inches good ice.   7-10 different people on south end.  Did not look north.  Fished 4' and 6' water.  Caught some gills at 6' depth, no dice at 4.    Most fish suspended 3-4 under ice  Kept a small handful.   Great to be out.  Char gill pill and glow red fat boy w/ maggots best.  A group of shanties next to us said they were catching some nice crappie. 

swedish nipple

• View Profile
Thanks for the info. I'll be there Saturday again. Blue schappel shanty. Stop over and say hi.

Fishingoat

• View Profile
Ill be there Sat morning. See you on the ice.  1 man frabill flip and grey suit.  Ill wear a rose on my hat so you know it's me.  Jk. See you then.

Mr Chomp

• View Profile
Was there last night. Strong evening bite in 6 feet. Others seemed to struggle in 8 feet. Night bite had some good moments too!

Fishingoat

• View Profile
Chomp.  Very cool.   Glad to hear.   That 6 foot must be the magic depth right now.  Went out this morn with sweetish nipple.  Great time.  The ice is still good but lots of water on top.   Hoping it gets cold again soon. 

Vexilar