Ice Fish Ohio Forum

so your looking for a sponsor or prostaff position

saugeyemarc

• View Profile
    It happened again last week and happens several times a year.  Guys (and 1 girl so far) see the stickers on my truck see the Prostaff sticker and ask how they can get sponsored.  They have fished a few tournaments and done well.  Now they think its time to get paid.  I hate to bust anyone's bubble but.  If your serious about getting sponsorship, you want that prostaff patch on your tournament shirt then keep reading.  
     I've gotten tournaments paid and tackle over the years but I'm not in the league with Pro's like Mark Brumbaugh who's the top Ohio Walleye angler.  I first dreamed of working my way up to the big leagues after several successful years on the local circuit.  To me the best way to get information of fishing the pro's was to fish Pro-am tournaments and pick the brains of the contestants.  The Professional Walleye Tour PWT was my intro and that led me to pre-fish with Tommy Skarlis on the Detroit River.  I thought he'd get tired of my questions but not only did he give me sound advice he offered to critique my resume.  I like to share some of what he told me and what I've learned over 20 years.
     How you finish in tournaments counts for less than ten percent of what a possible sponsor looks for.  Sorry to say that but it's true.  The bottom line is money and what you can do to make them more.  To even approach any sponsor you must get your homework done first.  Keep records starting now.  Keep a copy of any printout of tournament finishes scanned into your computer.  When you build a resume include just a few that standout.  You took first place with 40lbs and second place only turned in 6lbs.  You can add that you've had 20 1sts and 60 top ten finishes over your 135 tournament career.  Keep it brief.
     Get to know your local newspaper outdoor writers.  Get written up in your paper and make sure to include the names of any sponsors or lures from sponsors you'd like to get in the future.  If you do any community service and can have that added to an article the better.  Offer to call in tournament results for print.  Check around for any radio stations that have outdoor shows and offer  to come in and talk about a special technique.  Get used to speaking because you'll be doing it allot.  Start checking as to when your local bait shops or marinas have an open house and offer to do a seminar.  Keep a journal of every time you talk to someone about fishing and what about. Sponsors want to know your promoting their products.
    Start writing articles and submit them to magazines, newspapers, start a web newsletter  for your club.  Blog on fishing.  With a digital world you can get your face and name out there in many places.  Promote club products and other anglers.  Be honest treat every article on techniques like the reader is picking up fishing for the first time.  
 What your doing is building a resume.  The same time your doing the above get to know your computer.  A resume can be done using microsoft word or other software products.  Get someone to fish with you that can use a camera.  All anglers have magazines so pick 20 poses (holding fish out, lifting fish from the water) to use for your resume.  Get good shots.  Anchor your boat just off shore with several camera quality fish in the livewell.  Swap out fish regularly so they stay vibrant.  Have someone wearing waders taking pics.  Put your hat up enough so your face shows well in the pictures.  Have the same picture taken from several angles with and without flash.
     Want a good resume?  Fish the Pro-am circuits  Arrange to pre-fish with the Pro's if you can and ask to see their resume.  If they aren't carrying at least one with them you won't see them in the business long.  Most Pro's are great guys and will let you look at one.  Read it carefully and quickly and you'll get ideas on how to build one.  If you make friend with one maybe they will e-mail you a copy for a reference.  Keep in contact on facebook or twitter with them.  If you get to know them well enough they may willing to be a personal reference on a resume application with a tackle manufacturer down the road.  If you approach a sponsor who might be interested but wants a big name to start with you'll have that Pro to suggest which in turn gives you an in when the sponsor expands the Prostaff program.  
     Your resume should be no more that 10% achievements, 40% of what you've done for other sponsors, newspapers etc. and 50% of what you can do for the sponsor your approaching. Spell check everything and look for corrections that need to be made.  It must look professional. Once you've built this take it to an office store and have it put in a comb binding  Make sure there is plenty of color.  Have your best photograph of you on the cover.  Have a clear cover and a strong thick back cover.  Also have your resume burned on a CD.  Send a copy of both.
     Start small when looking for sponsors.  Go after your local tackle shop.  Offer seminars, weekly fishing reports, offer to get thier name on your tournament shirt and stickers on truck and boat.  Look for a discount on product.  Go after a car wash.  After all you want the truck and boat shiny when going to an event.  Get as many local sponsors as you can.  Some may even offer to pay for a tournament.  If you can get and keep local sponsors for a few years then the bigger sponsors will take you more seriously when they see that on your resume.  
     If you get a meet and great or interview with a sponsor remember though we may not wear suits you need to dress properly.  A clean pressed pair of slacks and a button down shirt go a long way.  First impressions last.  Well hopefully I've given you a starting point.  Good luck
specialty is walleye saugeye and sauger with a sprinkling of crappies and perch.
Sponsors: Icefishohio.com,  Reef Runner Lures, Macks Lure, VIBE

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Well said!  Couldn't agree more, a likable, friendly person who is a good promoter and speaker will do better than someone who wins 90% of the time but is a total selfish butt. 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
I think I have a tear in my eye, that was  excellent.  ;D  if I would have written that in college for my writing class A++  now im just an old fart with a love for fishing so I never realized the complexity of going pro...2 all you pros  I salute you  8)  
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Vexilar