Ice Fish Ohio Forum

when small is catching small go big

saugeyemarc

• View Profile
     It's funny the lessons you learn as you get older.  Some make you not just smile but puts an all day grin on your face.  I learned that sometimes in the winter crappie don't want little ice jigs.  Even the larger cappie ice spoons won't fill a belly on a slab crappie.  Case in point I was fishing a local dock recently.  Another angler was pulling small crappies after crappie of a small brush pile up next to a dock in 13' of water using 1/32 jigs.  I was using a jigging shadrap with three maggots on the treble hook in one hand and a Flatline Lures Pulse in the other.  I wasn't catching many fish but the few were slabs.  Anyway the other angler gave up and left after more than a dozen undersize crappies.  I went over soon as he left and pulled 4 better than legal crappies off that spot in the next few minutes.  Not saying it always works but when you on fish with small lures and your catching small fish, it might be time for an upgrade. 
specialty is walleye saugeye and sauger with a sprinkling of crappies and perch.
Sponsors: Icefishohio.com,  Reef Runner Lures, Macks Lure, VIBE

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Excellent Tip. It's a way to get rid of the Dink Bite for sure.

We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

Vexilar