Ice Fish Ohio Forum

ice fishing 1/8/14

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Got on the lake today!!  Fishing was great!  Got a nice assortment of bluegill (they were on the smaller side, only 1 nice one), and crappies (they were much nicer).  ;D  Ice was a good solid 5-7" everywhere I went.  I even crossed to the other side of the lake.  8 hits and the spud never drew water!  Bite was nonstop in all 3 spots I fished.  Fish were in 12-15 fow, and the crappies were about 3' off the bottom.  I was using jigs and small spoons tipped with a waxie.  The most productive was a small holographic purple jigging spoon with red treble hook, until a very large (13-14") crappie broke my 1lb line at the hole!  >:(  Then I went to a chart/black spoon and continued getting fish.  But not as many.  Will be buying more spoons tonight!!  Retrieve was drop to bottom, rip up thru fish, jiggle and repeat.  The crappie were hitting at various points of the retrieve; sometimes the drop, others the rip, and sometimes the jiggle.  All the fish were holding near deep timber.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

jbanker

• View Profile
Thats awesome! I was at nimisila yesterday and didnt venture out due to the fact that it was mostly crap ice, (and i had my woman with me) and went to old state park and didnt do anything but dinks.

Ive never heard of anyone fishing this lake but i know its somewhere near milton. I'm really looking to go hard all day friday to get on crappie and have been contemplating where to go. Any suggestions on locations? My go to bait this year has been a small green pinmin with a tiny green tail and a maggot, that was killin them during the first ice we had back in december but hasnt done me any good since.

I know this is my first post on here but I'm a regular on OGF so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Deer Creek is by Berlin, just outside Alliance.  I'm hoping to be there Friday, be glad to show you some spots.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Vexilar