Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Camera use

Jakeesspoo

• View Profile
I used to have a old aquavue camera and although i liked it it was alwgays a pain getting it set up and in proper viewing position.  Now i have a new color marcum camera i got from a buddy and was wondering what the quickest way is to set up.  I just ordered one of those aqua vue motorized pods but whats the wuickest way to set your depth?    Should you just let cord out till camera reaches bottom and pull it up a foot or two?    Thoughts would be appreciated.  Its always hard to find my jigs initially.   

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I have the Aqua-Vu micro and I use my Vex to find the depth. You can see camera depth on the Vex screen. I always use the Vex first, and if I spot fish, lower the camera to their depth and see what they are. Then I'll lower my jig to the right depth and it appears on both screens, the camera and the Vex. You can mark the depth on your line with a black sharpie right by the reel so you get the same depth every time if you don't want to leave the Vex in the hole and just use the camera. Or sometimes I'll drill another hole for my camera 6-12" away depending on water clarity and turn the camera toward my lures, that way I can watch fish behavior on my camera and see what it translates into on the Vex.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 09:06:34 AM by slabslayer »
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

creekcrawler

• View Profile
I usually lower the camera down and watch the screen. I like to stop about a foot off bottom. Some lakes, you hit bottom and stir up a big cloud of sediment. Made a circular disk with a slot and an old handle that fits over the hole. Feed camera line through slot and secure with a small clip.
Then all you need to do, is rotate it ( and the camera) with the handle till you see your lure. No matter what you do, it is a little tedious to get set up just right.

Tin Guppy

• View Profile
I had a Marcum 460 camera and I put small colored zip ties starting at 5' every foot a different color as a reference.

Vexilar