Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Hinkley Lake

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
 Never hear anyone talking about ice fishing Hinkley lake, and it's literally a block from ledge/judges, i know they stock trout in there, but nobody ever posts about it.
Lake Medina, Ledge lake, Hinkley lake, Wallace Lake, Spencer lake, judges Lake, Plumb creek, Buckeye woods, Hubbard valley, Chippewa Lake, Portage Lakes Findlay State Park

gimme ice

• View Profile
I haven't seen anyone ice fish Hinckley in probably 20 yrs. They do stock the lake with trout every Spring (usually April.) The lake gets pounded through the Spring and Summer. I guess the thought is by Winter all the trout are caught or died off.

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
 Hmm yea it is pretty heavily fished in the warm seasons, but there's gotta be some big bluegill and crappie in there, how long do stocked trout usually live if they are never hooked?
Lake Medina, Ledge lake, Hinkley lake, Wallace Lake, Spencer lake, judges Lake, Plumb creek, Buckeye woods, Hubbard valley, Chippewa Lake, Portage Lakes Findlay State Park

gimme ice

• View Profile
Hinckley is shallow and warms up pretty good during the summer- not ideal conditions for rainbows. Maybe there are a few that make it through the summer? I'd like to know if anyone has ever caught a trout through the ice at Hinckley??  ;)

Icehousepastor

• View Profile
I have fished Hinckley through the ice the last couple years when the ice would allow. Dink Crappies. Hinckley does not have a very large Bluegill population. The trout never survive the summers as stated. It is not stocked until earl to mid April. The boat house does not sell minnows during the winter months. I have noticed that it gets pretty clear once it has iced over for a week or so. There are some decent crappies to be had I just haven't found them through the ice. I do well in the spring off my Coleman Crawdad there, usually using minnows under a bobber. Probably wouldn't get the skunk.

Fishingoat

• View Profile
I agree with the pastor.  I have fished it a handful of times thru the ice and have seen a few dink crappie on the camera but never caught any.   I have a buddy that does good for the craps in the spring as well but we couldn't get anything going thru the ice.  Caught some nice bass in there in open water too.  Good luck if you give it a try tho.
Born to fish.   No plan B.

threeten

• View Profile
I fished it in that first ice before that warm up. caught some small crappie and gills. I personally would not eat a fish from there but it's
not a bad lake to get out on and have some fun. found the better fish closer to the west side in the creek channel.
used to be good for pike years ago,doubt there's any in there still.

Vexilar