Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Northwoods Crappie Cakes

steelneyes

• View Profile
Whenever I get a day pass to go fishing, it is usually followed by a night in the kitchen making dinner.  I love to cook so here is tonights recipe.  We just had perch fry the other night so wanted something different.  This only takes about 45 minutes and 15 of that was spent folding laudary while the mixture chilled in the freezer.

1 lb. crappie fillets, (8-12 depending on size)
1 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup mayonaise
2 eggs
1 Tbsp. Penzey's Northwoods seasoning
2 tbsp. butter
1/4-1/2 cup oil to coat skillet
Salt and pepper to taste.

Clean rinse and dry fillets. (I layer them in paper towels until they do not soak through when pressed against the counter with an open hand)
Melt butter and place fish in skillet, salt and pepper to taste.  Cook for about 3 minutes per side until fish turns white and flakes easily.  Be careful not to brown the fish.  When it is done, it will be difficult to remove from the skillet without braking apart.  Put aside in a bowl, butter and all.

Mix together Mayo, spices and eggs until consistant. Add 1/2 cup breadcrumbs.  The mixture should be about the consistancy of pancake batter.   

Use a fork to break up the cooked fish, then stir the fish into the above mixture.  It will be a little runny, add more breadcrumbs until it begins to stick together.   Place completed mixture in freezer, log into IFO, open a beverage or fold laundary like I did. 
After 10-15 minutes, mixture will have firmed up a bit and the breadcrumbs will have absorbed any excess liquid.  Add enough oil to the skillet you prepared the fillets in to coat the bottom.  Form batter into patties with your hands, a little will stick to your hands but you should be able to hold them together enough to place in the skillet.  Place in skillet on medium heat, turn at 5 minutes or when they begin to brown.  After 5 minutes on ther second side, they should be done. 
Serve with your preferred sauce or eat as fishburgers etc. 
Yields 6-8 cakes depending on size.

Hope you enjoy, they are good enough that I got another pass to go catch more crappies this weekend ;)
Spud one, spud two, if it went through, so will you!

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Nice idea!!! Gonna have to try this within the next few days!!

Thanks for sharing!
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

steelneyes

• View Profile
Doubled the recipe and served with cocktail sauce last night.  Shared with our 2 neighbors after he helped clean my fish from Sunday.  Works with any fish, gills, perch, walleye etc.  1 lb makes about 8, 4 inch cakes.
Spud one, spud two, if it went through, so will you!

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
had some crappies thawed out and saw this recipe,so decided to try it instead of frying,very good ,will do it again,always just used canned salmon befor.
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

Vexilar