Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Upground Res

Weekender#1

• View Profile
I hope each of you are having the best year through the ice, this is a banner year for me so far.
I have been fishing upground Res in NW Ohio with great success using a newer technique for me at least.
I have been fishing on the drop offs on Upground Res in 8-12 foot of water, in the golden hour the saugeye have been coming up the rocks and hammering my Swedish Pimples, Vib-es and Rapalas. In the last week I have been out 4 times no skunks, two fish Ohio 1-22, 1-24 inchers.
I have been out maybe 15 feet from shore, all upground Res are rocked lined all the way around and are shaped like a coffee cup fish the sides not out in the middle or past the gradual drop off, get right on the drop off.

handymanjeff

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Fishing...The ONLY way we'll walk on water!
    • View Profile
Awesome!! Sounds like you were fishing upper at Wauseon. I've gotten some good fish there inthe past with the same approach..
Jeff Gunn

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
FishStyx Custom Rods
Vexilar
Open Water Wear
Grandpa Bob's Custom Jigs
Rajus
Ardent Reels
Eurotackle
Grund-L Custom Lures
Zeko Shoes
Liquid Mayhem

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
Nice fat eye and nice work figuring them out.

toadfish

• View Profile
I thought about trying to fish the rocks on the reservoirs many times.

How can you be sure you are right on the rocks? I am not sure if I can interpret my vex signals good enough to know for sure I am on the rocks and not just a dirt/mud drop-off.

Did you fish a corner or any oddity or just randomly pick out a spot along the shoreline?  It seems there are no points or anything different to help concentrate the fish.

My guess is that the water is pretty shallow where the rocks are.  How deep of water are you fishing?

That was a great fish you caught.  Congrats on the Fish Ohio catches!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 08:48:13 AM by toadfish »
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

Weekender#1

• View Profile
As far as where did I pick to fish in the body of water, just picked a telephone pole and went out there, I am around bigger rocks but nothing real special.  stay in close to the rocks that are dropping off from the bank, I am only 15 feet from shore and fishing anywhere from 8-12 feet deep and still a long way from where the sides change into the bottom.

toadfish

• View Profile
Thanks for the additional details.  I hope to give it a try later this week.  I'll post results, either good or bad.

toadfish

• View Profile
Nice!  I hope to try it out tomorrow after working the salt mine.

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Weekender1. That is a very informative post and that is what our site is all about. Helping others learn how to catch fish through the ice.

Thank You and I look forward to learning more about your area and techniques.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

Vexilar