Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Jigging raps

Showdown

• View Profile
What's the best way to fish a jigging rapala? Do you let it hit the bottom, how often to lift etc.

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Yessiree
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Let it hit, yes.  Then experiment with lift/drop and snap retrieves until you find what they want.  Sometimes it's a little lift/drop or mini-snap, other times they want a larger up/down motion.  Also experiment with cadence, or retrieve speed.  Try slow lifts and then fast ones until you know what the fish want.  Also tipping with live bait, a waxie or minnow head never hurts! ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
Put a minnow head on the treble, the smaller the better, it won't hurt the motion as much as a bigger head. The jigging rap is designed to do a figure 8 after the drop. I lift it about 12 to 18" then let it free fall to the end of my line and then hold it about 10 seconds and do it again. The only other action I do with them is a jiggle sometimes before the raise to simulate a minnow twitching before it runs from a predator fish. Hope this helps, good luck.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

erierider

• Global Moderator
  • I have a Chubby!
    • View Profile
On Erie eyes try a slow lift to get them to follow and also a twitching of the rod left to right will trigger a strike.
Ice Fish Ohio
Pro Staff
Team Dreamweaver Spoons
Orange Crush Reef Runner Troller

creekcrawler

• View Profile
I've seen crappie whack them after some violent (2ft+ lifts) jigging.
The next week, a few soft lifts, then I'd hold it real steady, give it the
slightest quiver, and bam!

Vexilar