Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Tungsten Jigs

Lukin285 · 15 · 12309

Lukin285

• View Profile
I recently read an article about tungsten jigs/baits. The author seemed to be pro-tungsten. I wanted to get some other opinions. As we all know  there might be ulterior motives to want every fisherperson in the country to have exclusively tungsten in their tackle box. He might own a tungsten factory or something.  ;D Thanks for any input.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 01:59:23 PM by Lukin285 »

fishingful

• View Profile
I started using them this season with good results. They sink really fast and respond differently than lead. I had to tweak the way I fish them but last time out I was out-catching my buddy 2 or 3 - 1

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
They are more expensive, but worth it and here's why.  They're heavier than lead.  So you can fish a smaller jig and it'll be heavier so you can feel it easier.  Its better in deeper water.  If you fish the 3-7' range, then it's probably not worth it.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Strongpersuader

• View Profile
They drop like a rock. Tiny and heavy. Good for panfish in deeper water and/or weeds. But to use exclusively... Nah. Can be expensive. My $0.02.

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
I will weight in on this. Just started using them this year and I think I have a new fav jig. As others mentioned they are pricey but so far I think they are def worth it. They are heavier. And they fish heavier if that makes sense. They thing I really like about them is that they show up great on a vex. I can turn my gain way down and still pick them up. Actually was using one earlier this week in one hole and right next to it was using a Swedish pimple. Couldn't pick the pimple up in the hole w the vex but the tungsten jig wS in the hole beside it and showed up like a fish. Was pretty crazy. I reLly like them. Adding a few every time I can. I do think thy out fish other jigs too.

handymanjeff

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Fishing...The ONLY way we'll walk on water!
    • View Profile
I like the tungsten jigs during an active bite especially when I have a school of perch or crappie under me and need to get back down in a hurry before they leave, but have found that a lead jig or teardrop that drops a little slower can be the ticket during a neutral or lockjaw bite. No one lure works all the time :)
Jeff Gunn

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
FishStyx Custom Rods
Vexilar
Open Water Wear
Grandpa Bob's Custom Jigs
Rajus
Ardent Reels
Eurotackle
Grund-L Custom Lures
Zeko Shoes
Liquid Mayhem

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Most of my fishing is in less than 15fow., so I'm skeptical a whether tungsten investment would be worth it.  Granted, they sink faster and may yield a different type of action, but I'm not sold on them yet. 

Call me "Old School", but I'll have to experiment with them before judging them yeah or nay.

We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I was the same way until I tried them. Now I use them in one size or another for 90% of my fishing on ice. The extra weight keeps the line tighter and makes bite detection easier. I use them in the shallow water of C-5 at Nimi all the time. 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

steelneyes

• View Profile
Another 2 cents, the compact nature of them tends to punch through weeds and bounce off brush a little better than lead too.  I first played with them on Chautauqua for perch and we happened to have a camera down in 35 fow. The biggest difference I noted was the same size jig made a bigger puff of silt when it hit the bottom which is one of my favorite ways to call in a fish or wake them up when they are just sitting there.   You can really get them vibrating hard with super short jigging strokes and then stop them dead, the fish reacts by taking the jig HARD, not just nipping it.
Spud one, spud two, if it went through, so will you!

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
My second order
Fishingful where did you order these from?
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

fishingful

• View Profile
My second order

Fishingful where did you order these from?

http://sportsmensdirect.com/ its in MI.
I hammered fish on them last season. Sometimes 2 or 3 to 1 over guys that were fishing by me.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 03:22:47 PM by fishingful »

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Me too.  It was about 10 to 1 one day last year on Nesmith lake which is part of the Portage Lakes.

Team Wilcraft!

fishingful

• View Profile
I grew up in Kenmore. Nesmith lake was the first lake my dad took me ice fishing on when I was 5 or 6. I haven't fished it in a long time. Got to make a trip there.I grew up fishing reportage lakes. Spent a lot of time there. My great aunt lives on the lake.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Awesome!  When it freezes up we'll plan a trip!

Team Wilcraft!

Vexilar