Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Proper Safety Gear

snicker · 13 · 7279

snicker

• View Profile
Ok i'm sure this sounds stupid. But what exactly is Proper Safety Gear for ice fishing.  A Rope i carry one if the ice is thin. But that's about it. lol

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
A spud bar is important.  So are spikes, a whistle, ice cleats, and proper clothes. I always have a complete dry set of clothes in my truck also, just in case.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

huntfishforlife

• View Profile
What in particular will you be looking for at check in as far as proper safety gear?

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Spikes, whistle, and a spud bar/ice chisel.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Rope, Boot Cleats, Whistle, Cell Phone, Goggles & Hand Spikes
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

snicker

• View Profile
Well I have no whistle no spikes no spud bar.  Only a rope. Does that mean I can't enter and fish.

wis2ohio

• View Profile
You can make your own hand spikes here is a video from youtube

How to make safety spikes for ice fishing?

snicker

• View Profile
I have friends telling me they want to fish it but will not have and safety gear. It does say fish at your own risk. Meaning only the fisherman is responsible. Seriously the ice is 9" thick and most likely will still be that thick.
 So basically will they be able to enter and fish without what u said u were gonna look for.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
That's fine. There's safety in numbers. The ice should be good still then. The only request is that everyone have a whistle to signal with should there be an emergency. A whistle can be picked up very cheap, and it's a vital piece of equipment.

Team Wilcraft!

snicker

• View Profile
OK sounds good to me. i looked them up u can find some in 12 packs for like 5 dollars. or singles at Walmart or Kmart.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
There'll be enough people there a whistle will be heard clearly and another fisherman can render aid if needed. That'll be sufficient with a whistle.

Team Wilcraft!

Bigeyurk25

• View Profile
Hey slab do u have a launch area yet??? R we allowed to drive from the launch area to anywhere else on the lake?? Don't want go walk from one end to the other lol it's still a long lake

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yes, we can drive to other ends of the lake.  Agreed on the walking!! ;D  I'll put a list of rules and a check-in/weigh-in site on that thread by the weekend.

Team Wilcraft!

Vexilar