Ice Fish Ohio Forum

2/1/14

handymanjeff

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Fishing...The ONLY way we'll walk on water!
    • View Profile
Fished Nettle lake today thru snow, sleet and rain from 10 am to 6 pm. 9 to 10 inches of ice with 6 inches of snow on top when I started. 5 shanties out when I arrived. Set up on a steep dropoff from 12 to 25 fow in 17 fow. Water stained.  In morning crappie were hitting a yellow/green cracked ice swedish pimple tipped with minnow head. Hit on drop after a deliberate 18 inch lift and fall. They did not want live minnow on a deadstick. Set up 2nd rod with Grandpa Bob's new pink glow teardrop tipped with waxies. Channel cats liked this combo at 2 ft off bottom. Crappie suspended from 2 to 15 fow. Bite really slowed as rain arrived. Changed to Grandpa Bob's micro pink horizontal jig tipped with waxies and coaxed a couple more crappie, some dink gills and a decent perch. Fished til dark expecting crappie bite to pickup but no such luck, was still raining. Snow was a slushy mess when I came off after dark. No effect on the ice as temps dropped into 20's overnight. Still a good day on the ice.... managed  11 crappie over 10", 1 perch, and 3 cats to take home to the freezer. Lost 3 cats, 1/2 dozen crappie at the hole and no gills worth keeping.

Check your own ice and No ice is Safe ice!!!!!

Be safe and enjoy :)
Jeff Gunn

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
FishStyx Custom Rods
Vexilar
Open Water Wear
Grandpa Bob's Custom Jigs
Rajus
Ardent Reels
Eurotackle
Grund-L Custom Lures
Zeko Shoes
Liquid Mayhem

alwayscatchin

• View Profile
bite is heavy on minnows,  1/32 oz. head pin the minnow through the lip and let them swim.   was there Friday and Saturday as well,   was the guy north of you all day from dark to almost dark that night,  fish in 20 plus foot of water heavy,  move off the deep holes and you lose the schools.  suspend one under a bobber 15 to 19 foot to catch the suspended stragglers.  good luck.

handymanjeff

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Fishing...The ONLY way we'll walk on water!
    • View Profile
You must have been the Frabill with smaller shanty next to it set up on that 25' hole to my north. Did you tear them up & any size?  I was in the hole by the small beach, that was far enough to drag my Clam Nanook in that snow. Next time you see me out, stop & say hi. My IFO handle along with IFO & Grandpa Bob's Jigs is on my Clam nameplate.
Jeff Gunn

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
FishStyx Custom Rods
Vexilar
Open Water Wear
Grandpa Bob's Custom Jigs
Rajus
Ardent Reels
Eurotackle
Grund-L Custom Lures
Zeko Shoes
Liquid Mayhem

alwayscatchin

• View Profile
Yeah that was me.  caught close to a hundred, avg. size 8.5 inch,    bigger ones 10 to 10.5 inch.  was up again today  bite was better on a chartruse glow 1.5 inch straight tail. tungsten tear drop head.  still hitting minnows on  the float too.   hopefully run into ya some time.

Vexilar