Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Don't do what I did today!!

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
We are all careful at first ice and late ice, but when it's 10-15" everywhere sometimes we get lazy and complacent. Don't do that!  Fished Nimi this morning for a few minutes and never got a lure in the water. Just loaded my shanty and charged out on the ice and started drilling holes. Didn't want to bother with ice cleats, left them in the truck, huge mistake!!  Got all my holes drilled and started back to my shanty and fell hard!  Now my elbow is black and blue, I hit my head on the ice and have a headache. Dropped my gas auger, it got tangled in my leg on the way down. Fortunately my auger was fine and nothing got damaged by the sharp blades. But everything on my body hurts! 

Lesson learned!  Always take every precaution before venturing out on the ice!  Safety first every time, don't do what I did. We all know better!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

K Gonefishin

• View Profile
No doubt never leave home without them, glad you didn't hurt youself. I fished both saturday and sunday after the drive to my friends to drop his trailer off I had on my regular Merrell boots and found some black ice and fell busted my knee up bad, has a huge knot and I'm limping a bit.

Figures nothing happened on ice but look out for those driveways!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
yeah don't that figure  :P  come on now don't get all banged up we have some serious fishin 2 do yet...I want to get out on nimi with ya ...ok later
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
i brought this up a couple years ago. the leading injury to ice fishermen is head injuries from falling. i've had my bell rang several times. #6 1/2 inch sheet metal screws in the soles of my boots solved that.

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Sounds like a concussion.

You'll have to take the mandatory 29 day "Off The Ice" to get thoroughly checked & Ok'd to return to the ice.

Here's a pic of our official Ice Doctor:

We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

Vexilar