Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Trip to port Clinton

Duckman · 23 · 14307

Duckman

• View Profile

Hi guys my buddy and I are coming from central ontario on feb 21 to try and catch some of the great walleye Lake Erie has to offer the fishing in our area has sucked to say the least. We are bringing our own gear and will be staying over night in our hut was wandering where good place to get on ice and where to start fishing just general area would be great. My buddy is in a wheel chair and he rides in the hut we can cross on snow up to 2' and get across ridges up to 3' feet how is travel on ice west of islands.  If you see us we have converted a 7x12 trailer in to a hut with tv and beds we travel all over ontario and fish if u see us come by for a beer we will have exta,

Pond Crappie

• View Profile
 A friend off mine was doing really well off Cawtaba island.

joewallguy

• View Profile
Wow. That sounds awesome.  little crazy but why not. A lot can change between now and then but........I would go out of magee marsh wildlife area. Aka....crane creek.  It has a interstate of a road heading out to the fish. Very travel friendly.  About 4 miles out is the main shove. Crossing has been very good. Once across people have been shooting out in all directions and here travel gets harder. Snow is about a foot deep with some deeper drifts. 4*4 with chains or snowmobile is what you really need if you want to go crazy. I'm sure following a path out about another mile or two will be ok for you. Fish seem to have moved out. A mile past the shove is good grounds. Try to get away from the main packs some.

joewallguy

• View Profile
3 to 5" of snow tonight. Warm up and rain this week.  wind is the x factor. There are a few working cracks. One right off shore and a few out. A strong off shore south wind is not good. These cracks will be tight on your first cross and way open when returning.  I would really watch the Weather and reports on here, Ohio game fishing lake Erie board, and whatever else you can gather. It should turn into a real sloppy mess out there with all that snow, making traveling across the ice very difficult.  be prepared to have all your gear ready for running in 6" of water. You go to leave after fishing all day n night n day again to find your little house is frozen in. Just giving you a heads up. Be totally prepared for anything. Its a different world out thereThere n very dangerous

g

• View Profile
Duckman, the public ramps don,t allow overnight. You will need to call ODNR to get permission to park. They are catching fish W & NW of Catawba and out of Crane CREEK. Good luck.

Duckman

• View Profile
Thanks guys for the reply we are prepared for lots of things winch on snowmobile 600 spikes on track enough gear to spend a week on ice always trying to be prepared we have been in some nasty stuff this year 4' drifts and lots of wind we where going to shoot for west sister island but maybe we should stay near the bigger islands close to port Clinton. We will stay out on ice overnight and fish till 10 we have  generator  and lots of propane we will not travel if weather is bad what are some areas to stay away for bad ice

Duckman

• View Profile
Forgot to say thx my buddy and I are fish nuts and love to meet people where ever we go we have stayed in our hut for four weekends this year all over ontario and look forward to meeting some new peeps u can't miss us come say hi and maybe a beer and some duck pepperettes. 

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Hoping to make it up this weekend for one last go,where at in ontario I have many friends there and also fish there ;D
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

Duckman

• View Profile
We fish lake simcoe and bay of quite as well as Lake Erie east end I live in oakville we a looking forward to our adventure leaving here Friday around 4am

joewallguy

• View Profile
I would say overall fishing has been more consistent for numbers out of crane creek. Catawaba has been more spotty but overall bigger fish with some great reports. Seems both location people are chasing the fish more north. Not saying you can't find a great bite within 2 or 3 miles out of Catawaba. Some have. If going out of Catawaba,  areas to watch are the cliffs to the east right off the ramp. The path swings clear away to the west southwest then north and east if that's your direction.  Heading to the east towards mouse island is a very productive area but also one of the most dangerous.  People launch out of miller ferry over that way at a very high risk and most experienced people stay away from that area no matter what. Its a high current shoot that has swallowed at least 6 machines this year with one just last week. There is a main working crack running parallel to shore about a 1/2 mile out often referred to as the 911 crack. Its there every season because of the way the Detroit n Maumme river current flows. Wind speed and direction need to be seriously considered everyday. 

iwindsurf. com   is a great wind site to use with locations all over the lake and hr by hr info. 70% rain n thunderstorms on Thursday is going to make it a mess. I often will actually wear my waders on the ice when its that wet. Bringing a extra pair of boots for fishing and one for traveling is another good idea if no waders. Extra gloves, garbage bag my vex n other gear for traveling, stuff like that.

Just trying to help all I can. I think coming down and camping out is really cool. With a handicapped person even cooler. My uncle Mike is in a wheelchair and I've fished that lake with him my entire life. Now they have a sweet swinging lift right on shore next to his boat to aid in getting him in. Its great. Anyway, hope the weather n wind n fish align for you guys to have a great lake Erie ice experience

Duckman

• View Profile
Not going to head down Friday now going to go Saturday let the winds die down heading out of crane creek and heading towards west sister island thanks for all the help we are pumped up hope the rain does not screw things up is there any tackle stores to get bait near crane creek

g

• View Profile
I don't know the parking situation at Crane, but I know Catawbwa fills up by 7:00, so try to get there early. Good luck and be safe.

erierider

• Global Moderator
  • I have a Chubby!
    • View Profile
Be careful out there. Its going to start getting tricky. Check your spots. I am staying put this weekend to avoid the slop!
Ice Fish Ohio
Pro Staff
Team Dreamweaver Spoons
Orange Crush Reef Runner Troller

Duckman

• View Profile
Thanks guys for all your help we are going to be at crane creek heading for west sister island if you see the the guys from ontario with the trailer hut come say hi we have some duck pepperettes and beer hope the lake can take all this wind and rain coming be there Saturday 8-9 am

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
wall guy that was a sweet report
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Vexilar