Ice Fish Ohio Forum

fried creek chub

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
I like to try new stuff, saw a video of a guy catching smelt though the ice and thought they would be good fried as people have told me.... Since smelt arent exactly abundent here, I got the next best thing,

One six inch or bigger creek chub, scales removed, gutted, and head and tail removed as well,
Rinsed off in cold water to get any slim off the skin, dip in egg-milk wash, coat in flour, drop in fryer, salt and pepper, good eating by my standards

I'm One of the seemingly few anglers that like to eat stocked trout, they aren't amazing by any means but they are quite edible none the less, here's where I would rate creek chub, from best to worst-

-yellow perch
-bluegill
-walleye
-crappie
-channel cat
-creek chub
-salmon
-largemouth bass
-stocked rainbow trout
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 04:38:32 PM by OhioSwampRat »
Lake Medina, Ledge lake, Hinkley lake, Wallace Lake, Spencer lake, judges Lake, Plumb creek, Buckeye woods, Hubbard valley, Chippewa Lake, Portage Lakes Findlay State Park

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
a dozen 8" chubs, a nice home made cocktail sauce and a little lemon juice and this would be a fantastic snack in my opinion
Lake Medina, Ledge lake, Hinkley lake, Wallace Lake, Spencer lake, judges Lake, Plumb creek, Buckeye woods, Hubbard valley, Chippewa Lake, Portage Lakes Findlay State Park

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
Why are you eating bait lol? Just messing with you. To each there own. I could sink a boat with chubs from a couple creeks around here.

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
Hahaha I'd rather hook the chub and catch a nice channel cat or walleye with it, but my curiosity got the best of me and I'd be more then happy to do it again, we have the same thing here on the west branch of the rocky, some of them are 12-14" too! and just for the record of things, when I was little i used to eat the live emerald shiners out of the bucket when we went perch fishing on Erie

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
i always heard chubs and suckers were extremely boney,i have heard people grind them and make fish cakes,i would try them.
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

Vexilar