Ice Fish Ohio Forum

2014 walleye run

trapperjon

• View Profile
was wondering if any one else are planning on hitting either the Maumee or Sandusky this year. I've gone to Maumee for years up until 3yrs ago, got tired of the "combat" mentality of some of the socalled fishermen there, been going to fremont for past 3yrs and maybe it's just me but the people I've met and fished around there seem to be a lot more courteous and social,  if the river level drops this week I might head up this weekend 3/22or23rd if anybody's interested  let me know.  ps don't get mad if I release a legal caught female  :o   JON

Nwohioiceman123

• View Profile
Ill be fishing the maumee this year like normal. Ive been fishing it for 10 years and have never had any major issues with the "combat fishing". Ill probably be fishing it this weekend depending on water level. Never fished the sandusky river before though.

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
So I have a question. I have never fished either river. But I do fish Huron a lot off of the pier. Do the walleye run up the Huron? I don't see why they wouldn't just always hear of maumee and Sandusky

trapperjon

• View Profile
yes.... they run up huron. I've even caught them in the hoga below 82 dam while fishing for steelhead, the only thing is that they're not the numbers like Maumee and Sandusky.   another thing about fremont that I like is that it's an 1 1/2 hr drive and with the price of gas I save about a 1/4 tank as opposed to driving to Maumee.

trapperjon

• View Profile
i'm going up tomorrow (Saturday) the wife and boy have plans so I've got the whole day  ;) I called anglers supply for a report and they said they're starting to catch'em,

trapperjon

• View Profile
I went up yesterday (22nd) fishin' was sloooow only got 2 but they were foul hooked at the mouth but not inside  :(  so I had to release them,  next week or the following weekend should be good as long as we get the warmer temps that they're calling for.

Nwohioiceman123

• View Profile
I fished the maumee today and yesterday. Only one sucker to show for it. Didn't see any walleye caught either but heard they caught a couple yesterday.

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
Any favorite Floaterhead+twister grub colors you guys would mind letting a new I guy in on? My grandpa and uncle live on te maumee but I've never actually gone fishing during the run
Lake Medina, Ledge lake, Hinkley lake, Wallace Lake, Spencer lake, judges Lake, Plumb creek, Buckeye woods, Hubbard valley, Chippewa Lake, Portage Lakes Findlay State Park

Nwohioiceman123

• View Profile
My favorite colors would have to be an orange head with chartreuse tail. Or green head with pink tail. Anything pink or chartreuse seems to get the job done.

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
Cool thanks, I spend a lot of time down at the rapids, and find hundreds of snagged rigs, and the oranges, pinks and chartruse seem to be the most freak queenly uses. I'll give em a try
Lake Medina, Ledge lake, Hinkley lake, Wallace Lake, Spencer lake, judges Lake, Plumb creek, Buckeye woods, Hubbard valley, Chippewa Lake, Portage Lakes Findlay State Park

trapperjon

• View Profile
my go to's are... orange/orange and orange/pink......  but NEVER leave without chartruse's and green's either.   that's just my preference for when I start the day but if I see them hitting a certain color you can bet i'll be changing in a hurry.

fishingful

• View Profile
Jon .....mark and I may make the trip up next weekend if you want to kick in on gas for a day trip?

trapperjon

• View Profile
Jon .....mark and I may make the trip up next weekend if you want to kick in on gas for a day trip?
  sure.... just say when,

fishingful

• View Profile
Possibly next Saturday. I will find out how the run is going from my dad. Maybe next Saturday if the run is on

trapperjon

• View Profile
i'm off work this Friday 4/4. heading to fremont in the morning. anybody else going ?

Vexilar