Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Weekend

Duckman

• View Profile
Heading up for one last kick at the can out of crane creek any info on bite or ice conditions would be great

fishingful

• View Profile
I don't have a first hand report. Put the equipment away last Sunday. Watch the wind. Ice cutters trying to open the shipping lanes up. Toledo to Detroit and east. Guys I know that have hit it this week said the cracks were getting sloppy and ice thickness varried. Use caution if it doesn't look right check it.

Most of the seasoned guys (20 years + experience) that don't have airboats are on a day by day basis or have hung it up. Wish our airboat was running put back together right now.

Duckman

• View Profile
Thx will watch the wind before heading there that is my concern can cross cracks up to50 feet but don't want to push my luck looks like northwest winds should keep ice tight to crane

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I think it will be fishable but I don't think I'll be out. Might poke around the rivers for something... Just becareful and don't catch them all, because they'll be hungry!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I saw on the news last night that the ice is not safe and no one should venture out because of the cracks and soft spots.  I agree with OhioFisher in that I think you can still fish it, but I wouldn't go out unless I was in an airboat.  If you do decide to go, PLEASE be careful!  We don't want any accidents this late in the game.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

wlleyes1

• View Profile
went out of camp perry Tuesday afternoon straight line to g-can. the ice from the beach out about 1/2 mile looked like crap with people busting thru out about 100 yards or so. on out to the main crack was questionable , past the crack to d-can was good to go. had 14-17 inches of ice with top couple inches slush. forgot to load the spud this trip so I really don't know how good or bad the ice was(mistake!). I never slowed down long enough to find out until I got to g-can. the auger didn't punch thru as fast as it did 3 days earlier, seemed the ice had hardened back up a bit with the cold temps. Now 2 days later with this heat wave and the wind rippin who knows? if the ice dosnt blow out and we get 2-3 days cold air the ice should stiffen back up enough for one last trip. if not the boats loaded and ready to roll

Duckman

• View Profile
Thanks guys going to give it a try and will take caution at all times thanks

eyeguy1

• View Profile
If going to Crane , you can only get out about 1.5 miles . The shove opened up today to about 50ft or so . Hope this saves you some time and money .

Dale

Duckman

• View Profile
We where out yesterday all day 2mikes pat west sister going out wasn't bad had to cross a couple of cracks but on way in was a different story lots of open water and and five big cracks on way in.  Went over them no problem but decided after getting up this morning at crane and looking out we decided ice fishing Erie was over for us see you guys next year thanks for all ur help

Vexilar