Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Ode to Snow inspired by Snowcone

Banker · 4 · 4609

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Snowcone wrote a really great piece recently and I encourage others to do the same. It doesn't take much to pour your heart out into this forum. just start typing and let the words hit the page. Snowcone you rock.

I wanted to talk about ice fishing in snow. Many times, snow is a sign that good things will come soon. Aquilla Lake had snow this morning - report from Jim Bryne. With polar vortex forecasted for next week, lake temps will drop to freezable levels.

Once in the temp "zone" it takes on average 7-10 nights of temps in the teens for walkable ice of 3-4 inches. The only problem in Ohio is it is very rare for us to have 7 days in a row with temps with teens at night. Last year temps went below teens at night and firmed things up in a hurry which is why models used by Pro's like Ryan Kerns (Rather Be Fishing) work better in Ohio where is looks at the daily average tempuratures and predicts first ice from that model.

Either way you look at it...ice fisherman may be more glued to weather forecasts at this time of year than any other profession. Try not to get hooked on Accuweather who does give the farthest out projections of temperatures but also the most inaccurate. I like to call it Inaccuweather. Good sites to visit besides your typical weather.com are noaa.org and wunderground.com

So start getting out in the elements at dock tourneys and get the body used to these new temps and soon we will be on ice!

Cheers!
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I'm already riding around worth no heater and my window down in my truck to prep for ice season!   Plus my wife will be out of town for a week in the end of January, I'll be living on the ice that week!   Night crappies better look out!! ;D :o
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
banker is that at you at the nimi?

Small farm pond in Illinois last season
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

Vexilar