Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Getting back to the ice after 50 years

Fisnfool

• View Profile
Hi all;

I have not ice fished since I was 16.  Used to go on near shore Erie for blue pike and smelt with my dad in the late 50's early 60's.  And Punderson for trout and pan fish.

I have been re-wiring and re-decking my 18ft Starcraft Holiday for the last 2 years.  So I have spent the summers pond fishing.  OGF is my summer home.

But now the ice bug has bit me again.  I wanted a site dedicated to hard water fishing.  After checking several, this is the best.

Retired and looking to be on the ice with others.

Equipment I'll use, pop up ground blind as a shelter.  I am building 6 / 200 ft spool tip ups and have 2 ice rods.  Ice cleats, spud bar, poly sled for dragging the stuff on the ice, 2 ice picks for emergency, and assorted other gear.
When fish are in schools, they sometimes take debate.

LeeinOH

• Niles McKinley #794
    • View Profile
Welcome fisnfool.  Glad to have you.  

I noticed you didn't mention a sonar unit. A flasher is not absolutely necessary, but does make for a far higher success rate!!!!  I didn't have one last year and went with a friend of mine who did.  Our holes were 5' apart... same lure.... same presentation.  He outfished me 5 to 1.

Guess what... this year I have a Humminbird 386 CI for primary use and a Vexilar FL-8 as a backup.

Where abouts are you located????
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 11:43:57 AM by LeeinOH »

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
welcome back 2 the ice  8)    you landed at a great site 4 the hard water. everyone here is crazy about ice ,   or should I say fishing ... glad your here ;D
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Welcome! !  It's like riding a bicycle, it'll all come back to you, and there are some great guys on this site!   Where are you located and what waters do you fish?  When we get ice, I'm fishing almost everyday and I know icebucketjohn is too. We're up in NE Ohio. Hope to meet up on the ice. Any questions just ask, we're all happy to help out best we can!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
fish on  !!!!    you guys have some competition now that im retired  I will love 2 fish a lot now with you guys...../.

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Welcome to the site enjoy the info, nothing but good times and good friends here
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Welcome Back Kotter.  

See... the addiction was only smoldering for decades. It finally came to the surface.  

Ice Fishing has changed just a tad since the 60's.

Be Safe, Best Wishes.  Fish with others.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 02:36:03 PM by icebucketjohn »
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

fool4fish

• View Profile
Glad to see you return to your roots there's always a cozy warmth that comes over me when heading out on the ice hopefully we get a chance to share in it together pm me anytime u can use a partner
It goes without saying if its anything worth doing might as well do it right

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
was that you icebucket I saw at Woodstock ?   I was on the hill in the mud.

Fisnfool

• View Profile
Welcome fisnfool.  Glad to have you.  

I noticed you didn't mention a sonar unit. A flasher is not absolutely necessary, but does make for a far higher success rate!!!!  I didn't have one last year and went with a friend of mine who did.  Our holes were 5' apart... same lure.... same presentation.  He outfished me 5 to 1.

Guess what... this year I have a Humminbird 386 CI for primary use and a Vexilar FL-8 as a backup.

Where abouts are you located????

I'm in Mentor.  I am thinking of ordering a portable set up for my Humminbird PiranhaMax I use on my boat. I was told that I should make a shallow cut for the transducer and use RV antifreeze to sit the tranducer in. I plan on trying Geneva State Park harbor area, Aquilla, Punderson, Ladue, and Mosquito.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 04:38:53 AM by Fisnfool »

Fisnfool

• View Profile
was that you icebucket I saw at Woodstock ?   I was on the hill in the mud.

For some reason, I can't remember if I took it to woodstock or not.

LeeinOH

• Niles McKinley #794
    • View Profile
I'd be happy to freeze a line with you sometime.  For the Pmax to work, you only need a portable battery and charger (about $30). The transducer off of your boat can be used as long as you can get it to hang correctly.  The shallow hole idea seems like it would work also.

Woodstock... I was still in diapers...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 07:54:13 AM by LeeinOH »

Vexilar