Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Ice???

alwayscatchin

• View Profile
whats the word handymanjeff??? you checked the ice yet??

handymanjeff

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Fishing...The ONLY way we'll walk on water!
    • View Profile
Not yet after this cold has set in; to work before dark and home after dark. Tried to call the lake store and the number is disconnected. May be this weekend before I get a chance unless I can sneak out of work early on Thursday. I know the only local bait shop just got bait in on Friday evening.

Have you been by there yet? ???
Jeff Gunn

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
FishStyx Custom Rods
Vexilar
Open Water Wear
Grandpa Bob's Custom Jigs
Rajus
Ardent Reels
Eurotackle
Grund-L Custom Lures
Zeko Shoes
Liquid Mayhem

Nettlefisher

• View Profile
Can't wait to get out there my self just got a shappell bay runner ice shan't can't wait to use it

toledotim

• View Profile
On Saturday before the rain I walked out about 10yrds. North end of lake. looked about 2 1/2 inches thick. I'm not sure what the rain did sat and sun. My uncle lives on the lake so ill let you know when I hear something. Just have to get him motivated enough to walk to the end of his dock and drill a hole. ;D

alwayscatchin

• View Profile
I checked it today at the boat ramp,  had 3 solid inches of ice,  was still open water at the 20 ft. hole straight out from the boat ramp,  geese sitting on it so im assuming they are the reason for that,  couldn't see any other open water on the lake but would be cautious if you go out,  snow covered so its getting insulated too.  be careful if you try it,  will probably try it Friday and i'll update on the ice.  good luck guys and be safe!!!

toledotim

• View Profile
3 1/2 to 4" on the north end it should be on for the weekend

Nettlefisher

• View Profile
Any body going out this weekend I'll be going out in a week or so have to wait till my wife gives birth to are little daughter which is any day now lol

handymanjeff

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
BBTINKER and I hit the lake today from 11am till 5pm. East of the public access. Ice was 4" to 6" out about 200 yards. Deep hole East of the ramp was cloudy, punky ice with open water another 50 yards to the East. One other fisherman out today. Fished in 8' to 14' of water off the deep drop out from the beach. Ice was clear and solid with 2" to 3" of snow cover. Water was cloudy with Micro Vu camera only able to see a couple of feet. Fish were finicky. I caught 2 small crappie, a 9" perch, four small perch and about 2 dozen small gills. No Cats today. Started with 1/8 oz VMC Tingler spoon in glow with minnow head: no takers. No takers on live minnow under a dead stick. First few gills and crappie were on a flo green teardrop with twin flutter blades and waxies. Bite slowed and had to downsize to a Grandpa Bob's 1/64 Pearl teardrop/size 14 gold hook and 1 spike. This worked for the remaining gills and perch. A lot of chasers up the water column but, not many takers. The ticket seemed to be; drop within a foot of the bottom, jig aggressively in short strokes, play keep away up another 2' as they followed and then quit jigging and wait. Bite was very light; required a shanty to keep the wind off and a light titanium spring bobber on a 24" St. Croix rod. Headed back out on Sunday and hoping for a more aggressive bite in front of the evening snow storm :)
Jeff Gunn

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
FishStyx Custom Rods
Vexilar
Open Water Wear
Rajus
Ardent Reels
Eurotackle
Grund-L Custom Lures
Zeko Shoes
Liquid Mayhem

Nettlefisher

• View Profile
Sounds great boy I don't think I have ever seen a 9 inch perch getting pulled of nettle lake I have only caught finger length

Nettlefisher

• View Profile
Any new info of the ice on nettles since the warm spell

toledotim

• View Profile
i havn't been for a week but after the warm up there seemed to be more ice than before the warm up. On the north end it was 8 inches or so evrywhere. I cant speek for the south end since i havnt been down there. I know that there was some open water issues before the warm up.

Nettlefisher

• View Profile
If anyone wants to ill be fishing nettles and la su Ann my fishing buddy backed out

handymanjeff

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Sorry,
I didn't check the site this morning. I'm working all weekend.

Jeff
Jeff Gunn

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
FishStyx Custom Rods
Vexilar
Open Water Wear
Rajus
Ardent Reels
Eurotackle
Grund-L Custom Lures
Zeko Shoes
Liquid Mayhem

Nettlefisher

• View Profile
My sister ended up going with me it was her first time had a great time even thow I only caught two bluegill on la su Ann

Vexilar