Ice Fish Ohio Forum

safety gear

buster · 13 · 15929

buster

• View Profile
I know this will sound crazy to most of you, but I have never bought any safety gear for ice fishing(just cleats) and I was wondering if you guys could recommend some brand specific safety gear(spud, pick, etc.)

Thanks and tight lines,
Ty

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Any hardware store would have a good spud. Some guys use the ones specifically for ice fishing, but I like the heavier ones from the hardware store. Not the 20 pounders, but the smaller ones with the pointed tip.
Spikes are very important, frabill and clam as well as others make them.
Get a good rope for safety also. It can help you or other fishermen in case of emergency.
And I'd also recommend a whistle. Can be a life saver if nobody's around.
Lastly carry dry clothes, shoes, and a towel in your vehicle as a backup just in case.
Also read up on the safety board on this site, there's some great info there and you'll catch some things I probably missed.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

buster

• View Profile
When you say pointed tip do you mean like an arrow

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
It's not an arrow but more like a chisel point. 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
I would also let someone know what lake and a rough idea of the area you are planning to fish helps !
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

buster

• View Profile
Will never go alone, so I hope to hook up with some of you guys

buster

• View Profile
Is it better to have a one piece or two piece spud? I've seen a couple that are two piece for easy storage

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
if you like wear a life jacket if your uneasy about the ice, the biggest thing about surviving is getting out fast and don't panic. went thru this one time and by the time I got back to the truck I was frozen like the tin man...best just in case clothes would be: sweat pants, sweat shirt, socks, ....its very hard to remove frozen wet clothes ....try and keep pants tight with boots so water doesn't go in if you have a leg get wet...
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Erie Tom

• View Profile
A long length of  rope  that you  can use  for yourself  or  to help  someone else. Cleats  are good  better or best. Your  choice for them. Extra gloves

My friends  and I just  bought  the Artic Armor  Suit. It FLOATS. Just  like the survival  suit and had it on  today just  to see how many  layers I would need. Had  just a light  sweat shirt on and jeans for  about an hour in the wind  today  doing  somethings out side. Very comfortable. I know it  floats  cause I saw the video and also tried it at my daughters  swimming  pool. Came  up like a cork.  It is not bulky like  the orange suits  that Are  more money but  very  warm. Bought it incase I fell in. One  story  had  the guy  fell in and  had to walk back  to the car. It  generated  heat  so  he  was not  frozen while  walking back.   Jacket  and  bibs 319.

Strongpersuader

• View Profile
Ice Armor is the ticket. Have had mine for 3 seasons now, very warm and yep it floats. I seen Marks BT had a few in stock yesterday.

steelneyes

• View Profile
I also carry along my throwable cushion from my boat.  Could help someone or myself if you go in, and makes for extra padding on my seat or a nice kneeling cushion when hole hopping.  Also make sure you have some type of lanyard/ wrist strap for your spud bar, there are lots of them on lake bottoms ::)
Spud one, spud two, if it went through, so will you!

Erie Tom

• View Profile
Ice Armor is the ticket. Have had mine for 3 seasons now, very warm and yep it floats. I seen Marks BT had a few in stock yesterday.

Are  you  sure that  the ice armor suit  floats?  I read  that  the  striker  does  but not the ice  armor. Artic  Armor  has  the video  and  I  have not  seen a video   about ice  armor floating.

Garyoutlaw

• View Profile
Nothing mind blowing here but I love my Korkers boots, they keep my feet dry n warm but more importantly they give me serious traction & stability to my arches while trotting the ice.  I even felt safe playing "Billy Goat" on the iced over rocks while Winter fishing. I would never have done this with my Rocky's  -

Vexilar