Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Reachable Rod Holders & Tip Up Rack

Fisnfool

• View Profile
Us old folks sometimes have difficulty bending down to reach a rod holder at ice level.

I had some left over 4 inch plastic sewer pipe.  I cut it into six 10" sections and strapped them to a milk crate using strong wire ties.  You have to either heat 4 of the 6 to flatten them a little, or cut a vertical slot in 4 about as wide as a yard stick.  This allows the center one in each row to be fully round, but get 3 in a row in the width of the milk crate.

So now I had a rack for transporting 6 tip ups.

I had 2 Berkley ice rod holders and a Berkley bucket rod holder.  Turns out the tangs on the bucket holder fit into the gaps of the milk crate grid. I use this holder for my walleye rod with the fly casting reel on it.  This reel avoids line twist.  I have 2 spring bobber rods that fit the ice rod holders. 

So to raise them off the ice, I used 2 wire ties for each ice rod holder.  I put the ties loose enough on the bottom of the milk crate to allow the holder to slip out of them, but be held securely while in use.  The holders are removed by first pulling the short end free, then rotating the holder to clear the second tie. And if one milk crate is not high enough for you to reach comfortably, just stack in on another upside down crate.
When fish are in schools, they sometimes take debate.

Fisnfool

• View Profile
Tip up rack. Room for 6. It has room for the ice hole covers and I am going to put some small plastic pipe in it to hold the rods.
When fish are in schools, they sometimes take debate.

Vexilar