Ice Fish Ohio Forum

First time this year

FishFever103

• View Profile
Finally made it out on Buckeye for the first time this year. Fished with my buddy Steve from 2pm to dark. Caught 9 saugeyes ( no keepers) 3 catfish and a few gills. Had a great time and hope to get back out soon. Fished mostly straight out from the west side of the island with the houses...Fairfield beach, in about 5.5 to 6.5 feet of water. Can't wait to get into some keeper saugeye. Anyone know what the keepers like to eat ? Today I mainly used Swedish pimple tipped with bass minnow.

fool4fish

• View Profile
My keeper eye came on a gold jig head tipped with a white Berkley gulp fry and it was deadstick fished vibes jigging raps pimples buckshot rattling flyers minnows on a hook only  phoebes I think the question is where does the big ones live cuz I fed them everything in the box to get one and I hear the same across the board
It goes without saying if its anything worth doing might as well do it right

FishFever103

• View Profile
Well thanks fool4fish. I was hoping they might be excited about a particular bait. I hear about guys who limit out. They must know where they regularly dine. I will keep working at it and let you know if I have any concentrated success. Looks like the ice will be here for a while yet.

fool4fish

• View Profile
Yep ice looks good for a bit hope these bigger fish get hungry I think will only get better it def. Seemed like a lot of the biggest fish were caught 2-3 wk of Feb I noticed I haven't heard one wiper caught when they pack up its really on I'll be out this weekend if I'm not going up to Erie think the shinier thing is a good bet tho

linebacker43

• View Profile
How thick was the ice still when you guys were out? I want to try and make it out this weekend, work permitting. Any info is always appreciated. Thanks!

fool4fish

• View Profile
i saw nothing less than 5 last sat this weekend will def be safer come weekend that was near fairfield beach i heard of sketchy 2 to 3 in ice near papa boo so cant say the same for rest of the lake hope that helps

Vexilar