Ice Fish Ohio Forum

1/25

hunterbear

• View Profile
well went out today with uncle.. used pinmens n maggots .. 15'  and 5-7' they had lock jaw for us ended up with 2 gills and only a couple dinks.. my worst day yet.  not that any of my days are good.. thought I would share with was on main lake by parking lot past camp ground.. iwould be curious tho as to how other guys might of done that were fishing around me.?
Im not in the **** around business

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
You try fishing any points or weed edges?
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

hunterbear

• View Profile
I know there is a weed bed off of that parking lot maybe 15 30' out i was just past it n 8-10 0f water to start . got a dink perch there. then we moved south and popped holes at the first point in 5 to 15' of water got nothing.. i also tried some kind glow jig with maggots and my uncle had pink pinmen .. then across the lake to the downed oak tree. i don't have and fish finding gear. im going of of topographic map.

hunterbear

• View Profile
also i wonder how much my line plays into the fish biting i have 8lb on my poles?

Strongpersuader

• View Profile
Yea you should really go down to 2lb leader and some braid. 8 is alittle heavy.

hunterbear

• View Profile
why braid?

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I use 1 and 2 pound fluorocarbon. Fish can't see it at all. Personally I'm not a fan of braid on the ice. I don't like a leader to line connection when I'm ice fishing.  I know it costs a bit more but to me it's worth it. Peace of mind bringing up a big crappie. Try behind the big island on the north end.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

hunterbear

• View Profile
fluorocarbon I can do that. thank you sir.

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
 ;D. Try 3 lb  line for panfish crappie should not break it . Fluorocarbon line won't absorb water and has minimal stretch ,

g

• View Profile
If I go after panfish, I tie on a small barrel swivel and a 1-2 foot leader of light line. The barrel swivel also helps eliminate line twist. When I go for eyes, all I have to do is cut the barrel swivel off and I am back using my 6 lb line.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The barrel isn't a bad idea if it's a micro swivel. I just like a stair line to lure connection with only 1 knot at the lure. If your line is the same consistency (pound test and light for panfish) is much easier to feel your lure. Feeling your lure is more important to me than feeling a bite. Sometimes a bite is to light to feel it, but you can notice it with light line by watching and feeling. That might sound crazy but it's true!   ;D

Team Wilcraft!

hunterbear

• View Profile
thanks guys for the replies

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
No problem. Hope it helped and didn't confuse you.  ;D

Team Wilcraft!

Strongpersuader

• View Profile
Yes, small micro swivels is the key. I carry multiple seagari ice lb test 1-4 lb. and can go to an 8lb leader in minutes for bigger fish as noted in the thread.

hunterbear

• View Profile
no not confused I will end up getting fluorocarbon 2 or 3lb. and be back on the ice this week some time. gonna shoot for evening time so I can be there when the sun goes down. thanks again!!!

Vexilar