Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Going off the beaten path.

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
Well I'm gonna spend the day walking around the lake and hitting some spots that might have potential to hold fish that no one tries to fish. I know they gotta be here, just gotta find them. I'll report back later. It sure would be encouraging if there was someone else catching anything at all. I saw a guy yesterday with 8 rods in the water with every bait you can imagine and he hadn't gotten a bite.

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
Well I ended up catching 2 crappie and a few bluegill in 7-8' of water. I'm starting to notice that either no one shares their info on this site or no one even fishes unless they hear they are biting.

CrapPie

• View Profile
Dirtmechant,that is the exact point i was trying to make in the 'Lack of effort' thread i posted.According to the people ive talked to around the lake the fish only eat in the spring and fall. They must have super fish capabilities and pack on the fat when they do eat twice a year? Im not sure but maybe the green algea is high in fat? Ofcourse im being slightly sarcastic,but the truth of the matter i believe is people only fish when others do the work for them around here(Grand Lake). The lake does mostly contain black crappie witch have been known gorge more on zooplanton in the winter than the easier to catch white crappie but from what ive found out they will eat if you feed them easy meals they like,but you gotta find them first.Im not going to call the lazy calvery to me but the deeper the better and dont work too hard.I been just letn the minnow do the work and once in awhile you might snatch one of those 5-7lb eyes.. Congrats dirtmerchant on finding fish,atleast someone else is fishn and not waitn on the catching. ;) I'd feel better about more advice if others were trying aswell buts it slightly burns me when i hear the fish arent biteing  :'(but its just simply a 'Lack of effort'

wishinfishin

• View Profile
Went around the lake this afternoon and didn't find a person on the lake.Well I had to try something and found the bluegills ready to eat on the north side from the first hole I drilled.. I probably caught 75 in a couple hours. Most went back down a different hole but I did take 25 home. Only caught one crappie, the smallest one I ever saw. It couldn't have been over 2 inches long. Now, where are the big crappies?

CrapPie

• View Profile
Thier prolly close to where you were but im guessing you were useing wax worms? You shoulda used that 2inch crappie as bait,it might work like a 2 inch minnow..Or maybe next time take minnows..Hope my smartassnist helps. On other hand i caught 18crappie(12 keepr)4 nice gills and lost really nice eye at hole.Thats what i get for forgetting my hook spear.2 smaller channel cats also. Bite died around 1030am today,1100 yesterday. Good luck keep after them!

wishinfishin

• View Profile
I only had about 4 or 5 wax worms that they ate up. Primarily hung a couple spikes on a moon glow ice jig.

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
Thier prolly close to where you were but im guessing you were useing wax worms? You shoulda used that 2inch crappie as bait,it might work like a 2 inch minnow..Or maybe next time take minnows..Hope my smartassnist helps. On other hand i caught 18crappie(12 keepr)4 nice gills and lost really nice eye at hole.Thats what i get for forgetting my hook spear.2 smaller channel cats also. Bite died around 1030am today,1100 yesterday. Good luck keep after them!

You caught these in grand lake?

wishinfishin

• View Profile
I sure did.  Went back this afternoon and only caught 5. Had a few more lookers but they wouldn't take the bait. (DM, I'm the guy that walked up to you last week when you were fishing Coldwater creek.)

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
Oh yeah I remember! Well I'm glad you found some fish! I'm laid off again this week so I'll be back out trying to find them tomorrow. I heard there were more people fishing huffy pond again. How deep of water were you catching them in? Just to give me an idea of where to try fishing.

wishinfishin

• View Profile
DM, I was catching the fish along the edge of a dredged channel about 5-6 foot deep. Had some lookers about 4 foot off the bottom in some deeper water but they wouldn't touch the bait. Hoping for some crappie bites. Might try Indian Tuesday???
The guys at huffy pond only caught small bluegills.

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
Well thanks for the tip! I fished the channel at park grand the other day and I was in water anywhere from 6'-10' and only caught a few small fish. I was marking suspended fish too in the 8-10' water but nothing would hit. A buddy went to indian on Sunday and caught 6 nice crappie and some really nice bluegill he said he was by Richard island. I was there early last week and we caught some really nice fish between Long Island and pony island

nags

• View Profile
Fished Indian on Saturday with a buddy had 30 nice crappie.

Basshawk1

• View Profile
I think I'm going to take the st.marys challenge and try to find some crappie. I have limited out on Indian the last 4 days I fished Indian but am sick of guys watching you nail them then setting up in one of your holes and hearing them on the phone calling all their friends and spilling the beans. I want some virgin ice!

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
Well there is plenty of virgin ice here. Good luck and maybe I'll see you out there today!

Vexilar