Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Spud Bar

Green Pea

• View Profile
The one piece of equipment I should probably own is a spud bar. Just wondering,.... Lowes, Home Depot and others have standard spud bars. Do many of you buy a basic bar or are the ones from Frabil, Clam and other ice bar makers worth the extra $

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
A lot of people use a simple spud bar. I prefer an ice chisel, I use the (One-Piece Eskimo Redneck Chisel) its 1/2 the weight of the hardware store style and can also cut holes but the number one reason is the strap on the handle.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

bucknuts

• View Profile
I'm fairly new to ice fishing also. I use two 6'pieces of 1/2" regard taped together with duct tape. A lot lighter and cheaper.

E
Know our history or we are bound to repeat it!

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
yeah but if it's to light your missing the whole point of the safety factor,they are weighted for good reason.
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

Fishingoat

• View Profile
Never leave home without it.  Doesn't take anything to carry and you never know when good ice will shift or crack.  The ones specific for Ice are perfect.  The hardware stores are a bit too heavy although I do agree with hole hopper that some weight is needed or it is pointless.  Do yourself a favor and get one.  It will also help if you start to fall thru.  You can turn it sideways for a brace.  Hope you never have to though. 
Born to fish.   No plan B.

bucknuts

• View Profile
Try it...i can hit the ice 5' in front of me and take a 2"+ chip out of the ice effortlessly with one hand. I'm fully aware of the purpose of it. Now, I am in great shape and 150lbs...I cannot hold the end of a spud bar with one hand and hit the ice 5'+ in front of me continuously without be wasted by time I get out a couple hundred yards. Two pieces or rebar can hit the ice hard! And you could move it across a hole a lot quicker, I would think that speed will count a lot at that point. I have seen people using spud bars and hitting the ice just in front of them, that would concern me.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks,

E

Green Pea

• View Profile
Thank you for all the replies. I'm buying one for sure especially after tonight. I was at the CJ Brown Reservoir tonight and I can't believe how much ice has melted. I won't be heading back out until I get one. There's a hole I want to walk too but I would feel better using a bar to get to it.

Will items like that be for sale at the expo in Columbus I wonder? I have never been to one so I really don't know if they are for showcasing items only or if you can actually buy things.

bucknuts

• View Profile
YES!! There will be a number of vendors selling product. I don't know  exactly what everyone will be bringing, someone might.

Thanks again,

E

Green Pea

• View Profile
Excellent, I would like to see the difference in shanty's while I'm there. I wondered if items would be for sale.

Thank you for the replies.

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
I know Jeff from magadore and rod benders are going to be there liquidating their ice fishing stock so prices should be below msrp.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

Green Pea

• View Profile
Well I bought the Eskimo one piece. Gander Mountain had it and actually is shipping it to my house for under 5 bucks.

I appreciate everyones help. I will absolutely feel better walking on the ice checking it along the way.

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
Well I bought the Eskimo one piece. Gander Mountain had it and actually is shipping it to my house for under 5 bucks.

I appreciate everyones help. I will absolutely feel better walking on the ice checking it along the way.

Good choice!
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

Vexilar