Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Cold snap

Buffy · 13 · 10465

Buffy

• View Profile
Anybody think this cold snap will give us good ice by Monday? Hubby and I would like to head over to the overlook, but if it's too iffy, we'll stay on the docks at the marina. What do you  think?

xtown icer

• View Profile
The overlook area was fine last Sunday. We've only had one day (Wed) that's been warm. I would think it is fine right now. The ice was 5-7 when I was there. The fishing was a little slow though.

Green Pea

• View Profile
The overlook area was straight water last night..no kidding. The pond in the lake has moved and grown so the ice is very sketchy at best. I wish Pete would do a walk through and post his findings here. He knows that lake as well as anyone and stays up on the bad spots.

I'm heading there now to try and get some night fishing in. I'm going to try the lights again. My spud bar arrived today so going solo won't be quite as dangerous.

If it's too dangerous and I can't get my sea legs I will stay on the docks.

byg

• View Profile
Green Pea, let us know how it goes, thinking on trying to get out this weekend GL.

fshman_165

• View Profile
Hey Green Pea,

I have been out on the ice a few times in the last week. There are areas where the ice is still in good shape. The problem is, it butts right up against crappy ice/open water. There is a ton of variation in the ice right now. I would stay away from the visitors over look point for awhile. I don't suggest going out anywhere that you aren't REALLY familiar with. If you do go, go with a buddy and a float suit and picks are the ticket. I have been using the east side to get out. It can be a walk but I was fishing main lake areas. Larger crappie have been in very deep, specific areas for the last 2 weeks. The marina, and many east and north side areas, froze up first and stayed frozen. These areas will have the better ice. In the next few weeks they will be back up to 10 or 12 inches. The currently open areas MAY get to 5 inches, if snow gets on the new ice as its forming. The ice will not be as uniform as it was before we had some spots melt. I myself, will be hitting Indian hard this weekend and for the next few weeks. Ice up there is building and there are areas that still have close to a foot. If the cold holds for a 2 week period, and we don't get a bunch of snow, we can be on CJ past the first week of March. The walleye bite gets better the closer to March it gets....

Pete

Green Pea

• View Profile
Thank you Pete. Now that's a ice report.

I hit the Marina and like you said the ice was good there. No bites just sniffs.

I'm going to Indian Monday after work and will get there about 4:00  I haven't been there this year and I want to try for some eyes and evening Crappie.

Thanks again for the ice report

Roger

« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 02:47:55 AM by Green Pea »

Springfieldfisher

• View Profile
Agree with all others a lot of open water during the last few days.  The landing by the visitors area near the dam had a lot of open water. Really only area that had ice was the channel past the old dam.  Checked the ice near the campground area a lot of open water there as well. That being said there is enough dock space in the marina for 100 plus anglers.  Drilled a few holes yesterday had minnows and spikes but no bites. 

fshman_165

• View Profile
Areas on the main lake froze over last night, the big wind this morning broke the ice up and pushed it over in front  of the beach. About a third of the lake is now open. All this cold weather is great but if the wind doesn't stop, it will do no good. The ice will refreeze but it will be somewhat scary in variation. My suggestion (if you are not familiar with the lake) is to stick to the Marina...move around. There are areas in the Marina that had no holes drilled in the last month, that hold fish. People gravitate to the easy/well known spots and forget some of the smaller areas that hold fish. We are going to have 2 weeks of cold. The main lake will re-freeze but the ice will vary wildly in thickness. Remember, there is NEVER any "safe" ice out there. Take all precautions and fish with a buddy. I will watch the lake and post some information. We don't need anyone taking an ice water bath.

Pete

Buffy

• View Profile
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. IF these winds calm down, we'll just plan on the marina.

fshman_165

• View Profile
Update for today, The open areas finally froze over last night due to calm winds. With the temps being projected the ice might be 4 to 5 inches in the newly frozen areas by this weekend. They are easy to spot because they have no snow on them. They have about an inch or so of ice on them at this point. The areas that stayed frozen are in the 6 to 8 inch range. I checked a few spots today. My suggestion is to wait until this weekend if you want to go outside of the marina, taking all precautions of course. The ice is crazy looking on the main lake with heaves everywhere. You also have spots in the 6 inch areas with 1 or 2 inch areas (no bigger than 12 to 15 feet in diameter) right in the middle. They are easy to spot now, but if they become snow covered they become a problem. I'll post as I can.

Green Pea

• View Profile
Thanks Pete,

I'm going to hit the Marina around 11:00pm tonight and see if I can get a bite before heading home. I'm looking forward to this weekend.

CJ Brown IceMan

• View Profile
Going out Saturday.
Anyone wanting to try main lake let me know...just hate to venture without backup.
I can go early or late if there are any takers.

lowellhturner

• View Profile
For what it is worth, try these spots and have your safety gear (claws, rope, ect) WITH you, NOT in your car: the hump just outside of the mouth of the Marina, the deep side of the set of 36 "C" trees on the outside lake side) bend just before the tip of the S Marina breakwater, the deep side of the set of 40 "C" trees on the outside far NW corner of the Marina. All these spots border 17-20 fow...good luck and be SAFE !

Vexilar