Ice Fish Ohio Forum

lowrance elite -3x portable

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
I was wondering if anyone had ever used this unit.just getting into ice fishing and wanted some electronics but wasn't practical to spend the money (according to the wife) to get one of the high end units. Plus I wanted a fish finder for my canoe and I figured this would do the job for both. Took it out to indian tonight and wasn't getting a very clear pic. It was very cluttered on top. Also, It would pick up my jig but just as a blob and I wasn't able to see any fish marks. Checked several areas. To be fair though I didn't catch any either. Don't know if I need to change some settings or put the transducer deeper or if this is just what I got for skimping? Any help would be great.

toadfish

• View Profile
I am not familiar with the lowrance unit, but if you have your transducer level and at the bottom of the ice, suffice clutter will be minimum.  You may have to mess with the sensitivity in order to see your lure clearly and still be able to see fish.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
Does the 3x have an ICE mode?
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

30inthabucket

• View Profile
It comes with a reg and an ice transducer and can switch between 83 or 200khz, switches you from 60 to 20° coverage. I'm assuming I want 20. I think I may just need to adjust the transducer. Don't think it was deep enough. That ice is thick!!!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 02:28:49 PM by 30inthabucket »

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
Are you picking up depth? Or just not seeing your lure?
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

30inthabucket

• View Profile
Yeah I'm picking up depth. The main problem was a lot of clutter. I picked up my jig but it was just showing as a large blob on the screen. Gonna hit the lake in the morning. I'll mess with it some and see if I can get it figured out. I'll let you guys know how it works. And hopefully I'll have a good fishing report ;D

toadfish

• View Profile
For ice fishing, I would use the 20 transducer.  60 is awful wide, even for open water.  Surprising you can pick up your lure with a 20 transducer.  If surface clutter is still present, try putting the transducer just below the bottom of the ice.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
Try tuning the surface clutter
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

30inthabucket

• View Profile
Got back out with the lowrance today and I think I got it figured out. Transducer was definitely too high and you have to toy with some settings to get it dialed in. Overall I'm pretty pleased with it for the money. It definitely works better in deeper water, as you cant completely get rid of the surface clutter, and i was expecting arches for marks instead of just a line, but once I got used to it , it definitely does the job. As for the fishing it was pretty slow. Few small gills and perch and a surprise 2.5 lb largemouth at Indian and one small gill on a quick stop at kaiser on the way home. Stopped at a buddy's pond and caught a few bull gills and a bass but that's like fishing in an aquarium ;D good practice with the lowrance tho. Thanks for the help

Vexilar