Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Who Remembers?

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
ahh the good old days,we had cup style augers,took forever to bore a hole,our outerwear was a pair surplus navy wool bibs,or our woolrich red and black plaid deer hunting outfits,you were lucky if you had a pair of mouse boots,and grateful,our depthfinders were a alligator clip with a hunk of lead,our gps was dead reckoning and land marks.fishing rod reels were 2 pcs. of wire you wrapped the line around,and when it came back off,it looked like a acordian,no fluorcarbon line,whatever we could get,line dia. was larger also,ice houses were heavy and hard to drag,cleats were all but nonexistent,we did'nt know any other way,but we liked it,thats why we did it,and i still like it,thats why i do it,just a trip down memory lane for the older guys,ahhhh do you remember these,shirley johnson,goldie thompson,lord they hurt me bad,oh yeah heaters were a coleman lantern or a single burner stove with a tin can wired on it.it makes me appreciate the equipment we have today.
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

CrapPie

• View Profile
Omg,are you making fun of me? Its like you know everything i go thru.  ;D

quackpot

• View Profile
You bring back memories of when I used a spud bar to cut holes before I got a cup auger.

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
Quackpot,it wasn't much of a upgrade was it, :D
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
I laugh  ha ha  that really was funny, but true  eh?   made my sheds from 2x4  , plywood and an old blanket. now I have more crap than I need   right?   
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hand lining fish up the hole on our 1pc stick rods sure was fun, but a challenge in the wind.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

toadfish

• View Profile
I still use a Colemann lantern for light and heat!  I also have the clip-on lead depth finders.  They make it easy to set a slip-bobber deadstick rod.

I guess I am old school.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
toadfish: Same Here.... Still Old School in some ways.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

quackpot

• View Profile
No it wasn't much better. I still have my original homemade rods, dowel rods with old fishing pole end glued in. We had what we thought was lined coveralls froze our butts off.

Vexilar