Ice Fish Ohio Forum

west branch ATV?

eman2000

• View Profile
I was thinking of going to westbranch and wanted to know if you can bring a ATV on the ice???
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 06:56:46 AM by eman2000 »

eyecatchum2

• View Profile
Ohio does not permit ATVs or snowmobiles on any State controlled lake. Would definitely help reach those areas I would like to try but are too hard to get to with all this snow.

Strongpersuader

• View Profile
Ahhhh news to me.

Yea me too! I lived like two mins from the east boat ramp for 4yrs and didn't know it. Fished a lot in the boat but always trekked it ice fishing. Game changer for sure.

rangerjulie

• View Profile
Folks,

STRONPERSUADER spoke to me earlier and I was wrong. I was going by what was said in a conversation with the State Park once. I checked with Brian Andrews, Law Enforcement Manager, and received the following reply:

"We only allow handicapped persons using [snowmobiles, ATV's] as mobility devices for the purpose of accessing lake for ice fishing. ADA law takes precedence over park rules prohibiting. No joy riding, no passengers, only for mobility and operator assumes all responsibility for ice conditions. ATV's and Snowmobiles must be registered."

I apologize for my error regarding this.

RangerJulie

fishingful

• View Profile
They said with the upcoming temp fluctuations, it would be wise to stay within 100 ft of shore.

That does not really make sense either because the shore ice will usually melt first.....

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
True, but west branch has a channel and lot of current flow thru the middle. With all this run off from rain and snow melt, I'd think twice about machining out on the middle of that lake. You'd probably be fine for a few more days, but I'd spud and walk if I was going over the channel. ATV's and snowmobiles are too expensive to lose thru the ice.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Strongpersuader

• View Profile
Thanks for the clarification rangerjulie! Appreciate it!

Vexilar