Ice Fish Ohio Forum

1st Trip to Erie ice

11yearoldsDAD

• View Profile
My son and I made the journey to Erie for walleye this past Saturday.  We were intending on fishing Crane Creek.  Coming from the East, we stopped at a bait shop near Catawba at 4 AM, but it was closed.  While trying to figure out what my next move would be (needed minnows but also needed to get to Crane to get a parking spot). A fellow ice fisherman, John, pulled up beside me and offered for us to partner with him (he was by himself) for the day out of Catawba.  I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth and I do believe in divine intervention. The bait shop opened early (4:30) and we got what we needed and headed to Catawba.  Our quads decided to give us a hard time starting, so we used our heaters and warmed them up to get started.  We headed out onto the ice tundra by around 6.   Traveled a little west until we hit the ice highway and then turned North toward the islands.  Got set up and THANK GOD John had a power auger and busted right through the ice, no problem (tried using the hand auger.... not the preferred option!).  We were making fish and the hit was on every time they came by!  That was a short lived bite though.  It wasn't long and they all disappeared.  As I sat there texting some buddies back home, my boy got excited because an air boat was coming by and he wanted to see it.  He JUMPED up and headed to the door and knocked my cell phone from my hand.  Guess where it went!?  Yep, it joined the collection of all good things gone bad and went right through the 10" hole in the ice!  Well, that is the way things go I suppose.  He didn't get to see the air boat because he immediately sat back down and began crying.  I didn't yell or lose my cool (I WANTED TO KILL HIM ON THE INSIDE), I just told him we needed to catch a whole lot of fish to make up for that one (We only put one on the ice).

We  moved around trying to find fish without success.  We stayed until just before dark and then made our way back.  I was amazed with the true sportsman that we encountered out there. At the end of the day, I asked my son Hunter what he thought.  He responded by saying "Dad, I know we didn't get into the fish for long, but when we did, it was great.  Losing the phone was bad, but I think the greatest thing was meeting all these new people and talking to them, it made the trip worth it."  As a dad, he makes me proud because he understands the value in the sport.  He and I enjoy so many outdoor activities together and now we have just added another to our "bag of tricks."

All of this would not have been possible without the information we gathered from these boards and from the people we encountered on the ice.  A HUGE thank you to "John" from the Cleveland area.  We are hopeful to make another trip up this weekend, provided the conditions are still favorable.  Oh, if anyone has a POWER AUGER FOR SALE OR RENT, please let me know....
It is NEVER wrong to do the RIGHT thing!

Teach a kid to hunt and fish, they will never have $$$ for anything else!

Strongpersuader

• View Profile
Just tell him that the holes are a cell phone magnet and it happens to the best of us.

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Almost lost my phone yesterday. It was literally fluttering down the hole... Reminds me of back in the day when I was young sounds like a great time!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

eyecatchum2

• View Profile
Sounds like a good day, even thought the fishing was slow, stay with it and you can have some epic days on Erie. Those holes are like black holes and suck everything down them that does not belong.

bucknuts

• View Profile
I have left a few knives on the bottom of that lake....lol
Know our history or we are bound to repeat it!

plantguy

• View Profile
divine intervention twice. Cell phone down the hole not bad, as it may have made you focus just on the boy and moment at hand. Sometimes I think people get to caught up on texting a buddy or as I say "diddle dumping on the cell phone" that they can lose the moment at hand. Time spent together only happens a short time and then the kids are gone all grown up or just gone. I sure wish I could have some time back. Tight lines to you and hope you and your boy have some more adventures.

1BigIcehole

• View Profile
Great job Dad.
Memories are something that will last forever

pugdog53

• View Profile
Glad you had some fun with Hunter and ready to try again. Good luck this weekend and stay safe. Wish I could join you again. Maybe next week if temps allow or next year. You might have guessed this is John from Cleveland.
PM me if you want to swap #'s. Maybe we can get together over the summer. Love to have you over to Leesville lake some time.

11yearoldsDAD

• View Profile
JOHN! This is AWESOME! We thought of you and talked about you all day yesterday. We chose to go out of Magee Marsh Saturday. we started the morning with a "first in line" stop to Rickards, where we were hopeful to see you at. Anyhow, we made it out on the ice well before light.  Hunter put one on the ice right away and we missed a few. By 7:30 it was over. We decided to go mobile around noon.  We made about five different stops before starting to mark fish.  Then it was on!  Then almost every time they marked, we got a hit! He managed to put 3 on the ice, including one HOGGGG over 10 lbs. I managed 2.  We lost so many fish it was unreal.  The only thing we found to be successful was a shad rap that was sort of burnt orange colored, nothing else seemed to work.  Anyhow, absolutely, ill get in touch, Hunter will be super excited to know we found you again, you surely did make our first trip the best it could have been!
It is NEVER wrong to do the RIGHT thing!

Teach a kid to hunt and fish, they will never have $$$ for anything else!

Vexilar