Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Perch?

roosterfish

• View Profile
Last weekend was my first time ever ice fishing. I have never been to Kiser, but hope to make the drive up from Cincinnati on Sunday. I’ve read through the reports, and it seem like there is plenty of ice. Will the ice be safe during the heat wave this weekend?

I plan to start at the boat rental and try to find the 12’ hole, or start by the 2nd fishing pier (west end). Either way, I will drill holes until my arms gives out, or I find fish.

I addition to being a total ice rookie, I’ve never caught a perch. Any lure suggestions, or other tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

toadfish

• View Profile
It is hard to beat a jig tipped with meat such as a waxie, spikes, minnow head or even a perch eye.  Make sure you fish just off the bottom (1-6") unless fish show higher on your electronics.  If they are big and aggresive, using a small 1/8 oz spoon may bring them in or help located them.  Be prepared for light bites.

Best of luck and let us know how you do.

I think the ice should be OK, but always be cautious.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

Tin Guppy

• View Profile
Before last weekend the ice was 14" so it should be safe. As for perch I got some on a slick jig with spikes.

nags

• View Profile

Salmonid

• View Profile
Nags was that you who moved towards the shallow end and spoke with me about how slow it was?? we ghad the two Frabill Black shantys out from the Beach area   I did get a really nice LM Bass on a minnow and we ended up with a handful of keeper gills but yeah, it was pretty slow.  That East wind didn't help, that's my story and Im sticking too it.. LOL

Salmonid

used2expedite

• View Profile
salmonid, me and my buddy crossed your path on kiser off the bait house when you guys were moving to the back. im kinda new to the ice game and ice had me a lil nervous or else we wouldnt of been so short in our hello lol.  we got a few gills and couple perch out front off the jetty by the sailboat docks. come on soft water!

nags

• View Profile
No I was west of you guys I saw you down that way was going to head that direction but decided to head to Indian instead should have stayed at kiser I was out from grand Haven.

Vexilar