Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Weed Whacker Auger

G.M.T · 9 · 10177

G.M.T

• View Profile
Here we go again. I've been watching all these crazy videos online of people building their own Outboard Motors using a weed whacker, they even build friction guided bikes as well as putting their own chain disk on the motor axle, and this is where my ambitions all started.
Instead of spending the money on an expensive Gas motor. I think I'm going to build my own out of one of my old weed Whackers. But before i waste my time building this. I want to hear other peoples input.

Do you think ill get enough torque to be able to get a clean cut through the ice?

Will this be fast enough or would going by hand be faster?

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
My main concern would not providing enough torque. I just know from personal experience that they can big down, and some do not like to start in the cold. That being said you have me very interested and if I had and extra one laying around I would def give it a shot. I hope I didn't rain on your idea to much, I actually hope you try it bc Id love to see if itd work.

G.M.T

• View Profile
Yeah I've thought about that, but I was thinking if i just take a little longer and not apply as much pressure I may be fine.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Anything is better than hand drilling thru 20" of ice. I'd love to see the results.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

G.M.T

• View Profile
This is gonna take me a little while, I want to machine and weld the adapter to the motor shaft, but ill post my results when I'm done!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
you need some type of gear reduction to translate speed to tourque , and enough motor to do the job....I adapted an earth auger to my mora its  a 43 cc 2 stroke and man does it cut,  it will almost jerk you thru the hole ....
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I've seen snowcone's auger in action on Nimi and I can testify to the fact that thing rips thru some ice!  It's a brilliant idea and a great auger!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

G.M.T

• View Profile
Well guys... I hate to say this but I failed miserably. At first I couldn't get the motor to start, and after a little while of tinkering with the carb and gas tank I got it started. So I thought I would work on the shaft. I found a way to hook up my earth auger to the shaft, and I thought I should test out my speed to torque ratio and give it a test on just plain dirt. It started going down well enough until I got about 2-4 inches or so in, I heard this awful sound. I stopped, and took it back to my work bench to take a look.
I tore the inner workings straight from the motor. Well it was worth a shot. Maybe I'll give Snowcones idea a try, or just give in a buy a new power auger.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
earth auger power head rocks....
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Vexilar