Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Saturday 3-8-15

bucknuts

• View Profile
You gotta take the Good with the Bad!

Got to the parking lot at 8:30am drilled holes in 5-6 fow, water was just as clear as it was a few weeks ago when I fished club 51, no marks. Moved to 7 fow, there was 16-18" of ice. Got a few throw backs on minnows and tip ups. Got a 15" on a tip up then a 18" on a silver/Blue vibe with minnow pieces and a 20" cat on the vibe also. Got a 12" crappie on a minnow and then coming up on sunset I moved tip ups to 3-5 fow got a 20" on a big minnow so started jiggin in 4 fow live minnow on a tear drop jig Chartreuse got two 17"-18" gave up at 9pm.

total
5 Saugeye 15" - 20" missed 4 or 5
1 Crappie 12"
1 Channel Cat 20"
Dozen plus throw back Saugeye

And the BAD

Right around 10:30am I was sitting in my chair enjoying the beautiful morning and watching my fish finder. I was contemplating a move to deeper water and thinking about how I was going to to do it and what I was going to bring on my search and find mission. I busted out the phone and checked out the gps lake nav chart and decided which way to go. I put my phone away and just then i get a real nice mark. As I reach down to grab my jiggin pole......you know what comes next. *%&#$()&*^@! Yea thats right! My *&^%#@@&*%$^ phone slipped out of my chest pocket, which I failed to zip, and SPLASH right into a tiny little 6" hole. It even bounced off of my fishin buddy fish finder that was in the same hole which made it even smaller. That huge lake and all that ice and my freakin phone falls in a freakin icehole smaller than 6". I couldn't even scream and cuss because there was a guy with his kids near me.....I just took off on a very long walk and cussed myself up and down out and back!.

So, I am kinda broke. I'm a handy man and the weather slows business this time of year and I'm nursing an injury as well. My phone is my lively hood... I will see tomorrow how much this is going to cost.  I haven't had it even a year and old one is broken. I will probably have ice fishing gear for sale tomorrow afternoon.  :)

Sorry to vent, and my apologies to those who called/texted for a report or were expecting a call about coming out or going tomorrow. I am going to verizon first thing in the morning and might be out at Buckeye in the afternoon, papa's parking lot was pretty full today, with a for sale sign on all of my gear....lol   but seriously!

Thanks all and sorry for venting. Tight Lines/

E
Know our history or we are bound to repeat it!

fool4fish

• View Profile
thats sucks e but hey now you can join my elitest club my last ones at the ashtabula launch ramp on erie only the best loose their their phones to the water  he he he now u got a good excuse to buy an updated phone
It goes without saying if its anything worth doing might as well do it right

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
yep !!!  have a couple phones in the lake myself.... :P
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

buster

• View Profile
Wow that much ice, there is supposed to be a crappie tournament there on the 29th kinda hard to launch boats with ice on the lake

bucknuts

• View Profile
when I finally get something new....I'm going to make a fishing lanyard for cell phones..lol  Sounds like there could be a good market for it. lol

E

fishingful

• View Profile
I keep mine in a plastic zip lock bag. It should have enough air in it to float it or slow the sinking rate. I did have it out at Erie talking to my dad and hooked a 30 incher set the phone down in the minnow bucket. Luckily I just bought a waterproof s5. Dad said he could hear the blubber going. That phone has paid for itself already!

bucknuts

• View Profile
Finally got a new phone...
Here are some pics from my last trip of the year.

bucknuts

• View Profile
20"

bucknuts

• View Profile
1 more. These were taken on an old iPhone and my wife is not the best photog...that crappie was12.5"
Even though I lost my phone.... it was a great day fishing.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 08:43:04 PM by bucknuts »

Vexilar