Ice Fish Ohio Forum

indigo lake

hunterbear

• View Profile
 been going down there to fish lately .. surprised to see the size of bull gill down there and perch ... so question is with the water so clear what line would be best .. I mean clear water I was set 5' with spilt shot down four feet and casting out from shore 10-15' and can see split shot under water .. so im guessing it is spooking fish. any tips for fishing water that clear ?
Im not in the **** around business

Rumi

• Bucket Brigade Infantry
    • View Profile
    • OhioGameFishing
Wow, thats clear water alright.
No doubt about it, I would absolutely be using a brand of fluorocarbon line!
And the smallest diameter you feel comfortable with: 4-6 lb. at most, preferably even 2-3 lb..
I would hide as much of the hook as possible, and use live bait as well.

If you are targeting gills and perch, also make sure not to use a larger hook than necessary.
Love that sound of ice cracking at dawn!

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I agree on the light line and flouro. I use 1-2 pound line under the ice with great success for panfish. Also try dropping down to a 14 or smaller hook.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Also in super clear water light line will let you cast farther. Which is great for spooky fish in those conditions.  ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

hunterbear

• View Profile
thanks guys.... im gonna have to change up the line... I have 8lb test now.and I think im gonna get smaller bobbers also. I did notice when I switched to bobber that had a black bottom half I started to get more bites but they can feel the big stand up bobber I have
Im not in the **** around business

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I like those super sensitive bobbers from Gapens. If a crappie farts on your lure they go down. And they work great with light lures and make minimal splash when they hit the water.

Team Wilcraft!

Vexilar