Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Erie 7/16/15

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
First real trip since the shoulder surgery yesterday. Went on my dad's boat. No rain, but wind was horrible. Went out of edgewater. Got a few decent bass, but a slow day overall not what I'm used to up there. Sheepshead and rock bass were thrown in also, all on a drop shot. Just felt great to be on the water again! !
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
I'm glad to see you getting out. Were you fishing smallies or LM?

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Both, but all I got was largemouth. I was around the lighthouses and have got nice ones of both species before, but the smallies were nowhere to be found yesterday.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

30inthabucket

• View Profile
Funny how the bass fishing up there will spoil you. We fished the portage river one afternoon when I was up and 4 of us caught prob 30 LM in an hour. We quit cause it was kinda slow.lol. usually a two hour trip produces well over 100. Around here I'm usually happy if I get 5 bites in a day . Really would like to smallie fish up there but I can never convince my buddies to try it.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
They'd love it!  Bass fishing on Erie has ruined me. Went to west branch yesterday and got 4 and that was it. Although one was almost 5 pounds. But Erie is an amazing fishery all the way around. Couldn't agree more.

Team Wilcraft!

30inthabucket

• View Profile
Is a dropshot what you usually use for smallies up there? What type/color plastics? Catch most of my river fish on tubes and jerkbaits.some cranks. Does that sort of stuff work up there?

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yes it does. Tubes and cranks work great. I finished second in a tournament up there last year on nothing but cranks.  But a drop shot is my go to. I use a 4 inch worm made by drop zone baits, they're right here in Alliance Ohio. Is a copper back and white belly. But you could drop shot a tube also if you wanted to.

Team Wilcraft!

Vexilar