Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Ice Tackle

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Ok so last year was my first time on the ice. Was pretty much on my own figuring out what to do. Started out with some cheap rods, a couple jigging raps and some crappie jigs. Caught 3 eyes my first time out and was absolutely hooked after that. Started picking up more stuff here and there as I went when I saw something I liked or was shown by guys I met on the ice that was working for them. I've been buying up stuff over the summer and now am getting quite a collection of ice tackle. So I was wondering what you more experienced guys carry on the ice. I hate being out fishing and they are hitting something I don't have, but also dislike dragging around a bunch of stuff I don't need. What's your go to bait? How much tackle do you guys carry? And also I didn't get started until late Jan so I have never fished early ice. Anything different you guys do early? I mostly fished Indian last year but plan on trying some new water this winter and will definitely try to hit erie.
And I mostly target eyes and crappie.
   Figure this at least gives us something to talk about. Any advice is appreciated.

g

• View Profile
My go to baits for inland lake eyes and crappies are vibes, jigging raps and buckshot rattle spoons as well as a few jigs. I use 1/16 to 3/16oz. baits for the most part. Unlike  most people, if the bite is tough I upsize baits, especially vibes. For Erie, I use #5 to #7 swedish pimples and jigging raps. Little cleo spoons in 1/3 to 2/5 oz. work well too. Hopes this helps. A wealth of info can be had at the dock tourneys. Good luck.

30inthabucket

• View Profile
Yeah I'd love to try the dock tourneys but I spend every weekend in November in a tree stand.  But once those tags are filled, count me in. I love donating money.lol. I'll think of it as paying for advice. Thanks for the tips G

Green Pea

• View Profile
I'm on my third year and I'm hooked. I hope to make the dock tourneys this year myself. I'm usually at CJ Brown because I only live 15 minutes from there. I plan to hit Indian heavy this year and hopefully have better luck. I want to catch an eye through the ice so bad. I am hoping to make it to Erie this year and follow everyone out.

As for gear I pretty much use the same stuff already mentioned. I wish I knew when to use what. Hopefully I learn a little more this year.

Man I can't wait to get back on the ice.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I'll give you some good tips and some basic lures that will cover your needs. Just haven't had time to do a reply that long, been working like crazy!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
but if I tell you then everyone will know...hahaahh   just kiddin ....wow there is so much....spoons, jigs , shrimpos, I usually poke around and see what is working where also
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

30inthabucket

• View Profile
Yeah I really think I've got plenty. I have a tendency to go a little overboard buying tackle. I could pack enough clothes for a two week vacation in my river bag and my crappie bag isn't much smaller. My garage looks like a cabelas store. But I almost always have what they are biting on ;D may need to grab a few vibes.think most of mine are prob too big for ice. Thanks for the help guys. And feel free to pm me with your hot baits and secret spots once the ice gets here...

quackpot

• View Profile
We may have to compare vehicles this winter, I have a problem. My crew cab Chevrolet is a two seater sometimes. It has been named bobbys cabelas, or my Swiss army truck. I bought a case for my extra ice rods, it has twenty four in it. Six hand augers as of today and one gas, more in the works. Like I said I have a problem

30inthabucket

• View Profile

quackpot

• View Profile
Like I said I have a problem 3 boats. Wife bought one for me. Show her this post. Good luck

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I get that!  I did the 3 boats for a bit and my wife said our house can't look like a marina. So I sold all 3 and got a ranger.  ;D  Not what she had in mind I think, but it worked! !
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
I feel ya have a couple myself   ;D

30inthabucket

• View Profile
Well my eskimo quickflip showed up yesterday ;D Found one on amazon for 229 with free shipping!!! They shipped my spud bar free too. gotta get it put together and get some jigs poured and painted and I think I'm ready to go... well maybe i need just a couple more things...lol

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
To be a great panfish fisherman on Indian you don't need much. I fish light and fish small for BIG fish. Only certain companies have tungsten as small as I like to run 2.5 3mm and only one has 2mm 1lb test is also tough to find good quality line in 2is as high as I go rods are 17 inches maximum and palm rods are my go to. Literally can walk out with a 4inch finbor scoop and a tool carrier made by Husky packed with palms with bait plyers hand warmers in the middle and I am set! To learn more check out one of my seminars this year.
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
well now guy there are times when runnin in ninja mode is fun, but there times when ya just have to take the luxery road    ;D

Vexilar