Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Ice Tackle

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Banker don't ever tell my wife anything like that!!! I'll get that look... you know the I told you you didn't need all that stuff look. But I do appreciate the advice.  My success last year def improved as my baits got smaller. Ended up the year using 1/200th gold jighead with a tiny plastic or a spike. Was working great then the damn ice thawed >:( I have found some very tiny tungsten on e bay. Can't wait to try em. Do you usually just tip with a spike or waxie?

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
I bring both and try different combinations half spike/half wazie, whole spike, 3spikes, 3 waxies I find I have 3 spikes (red white combo) on the most
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

g

• View Profile
Instead of carrying everything, even if it fits in a bucket, I use a mixing tray to haul my gear. It measures 3 ft. by 2 ft. and cost less than than $15.00.

fool4fish

• View Profile
good question 30 as you can see already got all these wondering minds talking bout all kinds of things,happens when you get the fever waiting for the chill but to directly answer your question not that im a senior pro ive given alot of thought to the question in my past and its highly dictated by the bite your chasing it aint always catching so sometimes it can take sticking to your bait when conditions slow but jigging raps in a med size range can catch alot of fish rattling buckshot flyers and vibe blades are my 3 most readily available in my area that i keep as must for most species of course panfish jigs are another ball game which i always bring in case another target isnt cooperating cant leave out pimples slender spoon and phobee grant turned me on to them on here i can confidently say i iced more crappie across ohio than other other bait last year hope this helps out some
It goes without saying if its anything worth doing might as well do it right

30inthabucket

• View Profile
2 things. Fool4fish I followed your post all the way to phobee. Not sure what that is . Post a pic for me maybe?
Second I was wondering what everyone's opinion on ice line was?  Favorite brands, size, does color matter?  Mono floro braid? Banker touched on it some but I'd like to hear some more thoughts on the subject. Maybe 2 categories pan fish and saugeye/walleye. Thanks for the help guys

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
ya say ice line ?   my favorite rod has 5lb power pro braid w a short leader of fluro ....
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

g

• View Profile
I use 6 lb. mono. If I go for panfish, I tie a leader of 2 or 4 lb. mono to a barrel swivel.

g

• View Profile
Hey 30, if you want to see what a phoebe looks like, go to fishusa website and type phoebe in the search box and it will show you what they are. I use the 1/8 oz. gold ones with good success.

30inthabucket

• View Profile
Yeah I found them. The spelling had me screwed up. Google kept giving me hits on the TV show friends.lol

fool4fish

• View Profile
Sorry 30 I didn't see I misspelled that but Grant already helped out on just like he helped me good tip on a good bait
It goes without saying if its anything worth doing might as well do it right

g

• View Profile
I used to buy my phoebes at Gander Mountain. Will have to see if they still carry them since I am running low on them. They work great casting for stocked trout too.

30inthabucket

• View Profile
If you are talking about the Gander in Huber heights I was there sat and they didn't have ice stuff out yet

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Hey guys before you try those big stores (whose ice fishing displays probably won't be out for a while yet) give a call to some of the local sponsors listed on this Web site. I bet Marks bait and tackle in ravenna,Mogadore baits or places like those will have what your looking for or can get it for ya. Just putting that out there,I always try to give a little back to the local guy, they do a lot for us and this site.
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

30inthabucket

• View Profile
I hear you nt but I and I'm pretty sure g are in southwest ohio. The stores you mentioned are hours from here. I do shop at some local bait and tackle shops here and around the lakes I fish but driving halfway across the state for some spoons and jigs isn't doable for me.I'm definitely interested in marks if I ever get up that way though. I hear it's awesome.

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
I hear my friend,but I think it's worth a phone call to him and I bet he would ship them to ya. Mark is a great guy and would be glad to help if he can.
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

Vexilar