Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Dirt auger power head

quackpot

• View Profile
Has anybody put a post hole digger head on a Strike Master ice bit? I picked up a dirt auger a while back and have been trying to design a adapter to hook the two together. If I come up with a solution I will post pictures.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I can't be positive, but I'm pretty sure snowcone did it. I've used Rick's auger before and that thing is a beast. It'll cut thru ice like nobody's business. If you can adapt it, it should work fantastic.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
hey guys , I did put my earth auger on my drill, the output shaft of the motor is a stub about 3 or so inches long with a hole sideways in it, and my auger separated at the center from the handle  . I did have to cut a small part off the length at the to of the auger to help fit . the adapter is a heavy  tube that I drilled each end to fit its about 16 inchs long....now aafter the fact I wish I would added about 10 more inches on length, slab is right its a bear and drills well
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

quackpot

• View Profile
I picked up a second power head today because it was cheap. I would love to see how you did yours. Sounds like what you made is exactly what I need to build. Got any pictures to get me started in the right direction?

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
I did that in reverse order. I have a Mako 43 and I bought a dirt auger from TSC. Same mfg, works awesome!
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
it will drill great, BUT   you should put some thread lock on the screws that hold the blades , have lost a few. oh yeah carry extra blades and screws..
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

quackpot

• View Profile
Thanks for all of the input I'm getting a power bit for one of the motors. The other one is still in the works

handymanjeff

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Fishing...The ONLY way we'll walk on water!
    • View Profile
I have an Earthquake dirt auger powerhead I used for my business; this is the same head that is on the older Eskimo power ice augers. You can order their ice bit for it. I have a 10" ice auger bit for mine. Dirt work in the summer and ice auger in the winter. One power head and multiple auger bits. A little on the heavy side, but power's thru 20" of ice with no problem. The auger bits I have, all match up perfectly with no modifications. ;D
Jeff Gunn

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
FishStyx Custom Rods
Vexilar
Open Water Wear
Grandpa Bob's Custom Jigs
Rajus
Ardent Reels
Eurotackle
Grund-L Custom Lures
Zeko Shoes
Liquid Mayhem

quackpot

• View Profile
I was trying to use a hand auger bit. Thanks for all the advise.

Vexilar