Ice Fish Ohio Forum

UV/Glow-in-the-Dark Lures

MEKlukow

• View Profile
I see a lot of jigs and spoons that glow in the dark or are even UV. Has anyone noticed a big difference in success when using these? And with which species? I had assumed they were mainly for walleye, but I'm really lost on the whole topic. Thanks!

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Yes I have. I have used both uv and glow. I use them for bluegill and crappie with really good success. Especially in low light or night fishing situations. I've noticed a 3 to 1 difference sometimes in favor of the glow. I think they're great to have in the box! 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

MEKlukow

• View Profile
Awesome! Thanks so much -- I love excuses to go buy more lures!

g

• View Profile
The glow colors definitely work at night, low light conditions and in dark colored or stained. I have seen uv lures catch fish when the same color lure that wasn't uv enhanced didn't. You never know what the fish want so it is nice to have a variety of colors to try.

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
I'm a believer. Last year with the ice so thick and covered with snow a lot of times glo jigs really seemed to make a difference, even during the middle of the day. And got me a few more fish several times when the crappie turned on right before dark but stopped hitting a reg jig at dark. Would throw on a glow head or plastic and usually catch more.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
yeah glo does better. even my UV lures do good.
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I forgot to mention red glow. That color was a killer for me last winter! 
Another lure buying excuse! ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

g

• View Profile
It's nice the newer glow lures glow for longer periods of time than their older counterparts. Some lures and colors will glow for an hour or more instead of 5-15 minutes. I use a camera flash to charge my glow lures, I have good luck with red glow and glow perch buckshot spoons.

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I don't use them too much during early ice season, but as the season progresses and the amount of light diminishes due to heavy snows & water staining, I lean towards using them more & more.

We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

Vexilar