Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Auger w/Drill Adapter "Dancing"

Downthehole

• View Profile
Hi Guys,

I have a 6" auger that is hooked up to an 18v battery drill via an adapter with safety lanyard. Today, when I tried to drill holes with it it "danced" all over the ice. The only way I could get it to drill a hole was to chip a pilot hole with my chisel and then use the auger to finish it off....

Any ideas what could be causing the auger to "dance"

Andy
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

Downthehole

• View Profile
It's a strikemaster that I bought used last year, worked fine with the hand crank...

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
there could be several things wrong, replaced the blades wrong/ dull blade/ loose blades or blade. Sometimes during summer storage our augers are left laying around without a guard over the blades and they get knocked around , chipped or the pitch gets changed by leaving it standing up in the corner....... try new blades

Downthehole

• View Profile
there could be several things wrong, replaced the blades wrong/ dull blade/ loose blades or blade. Sometimes during summer storage our augers are left laying around without a guard over the blades and they get knocked around , chipped or the pitch gets changed by leaving it standing up in the corner....... try new blades

I'll try new blades....thanks for the advice...

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
also try starting the speed of your drill slower until it gets a bite .  :D
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Strongpersuader

• View Profile
Make sure you run it in low gear, should be fine then.

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
I noticed that yesterday, the guys that converted drills to augers were buzzing through the ice pretty darn quick, I have the ion battery powered auger and it plows through the ice at a lower speed but tons of torque

z400wolverine

• View Profile
My 2 cents would be to convert it back to hand crank and see what happens,before spending $$$$!

Suttalo

• Suttalo
    • View Profile
Use a hammer drill it will not walk. I use a Nils on a 21v lit Dewalt. Slices ice like butter.
"The spirit of the bow dwells in the hearts of all young men."

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
hold it vertical and turn it on and see if it wobbles,if it does something is out of alignment causing it to run out of round.check at connection to make sure its seated properly.
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

Downthehole

• View Profile
I put new blades on it today, I'll test it tomorrow and see how it goes...I'll let you know. Since elec-trickery is making a play in the auger scene I'm sure there's lessons to be learned!  :)

Downthehole

• View Profile
The new blades did the trick...no issues today at Buckeye Lake. Thanks for the advice guys!

Andy

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
Glad you got it sorted out.
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

Vexilar