Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Greetings from Portage Lakes

Aristarchus

• View Profile
Greetings from a life-long Ohio resident. I have never been ice fishing before, but I would like to try it out this winter. I live in the Portage Lakes area, and I work in Streetsboro right by that private lake near the Frost Rd/480 ramp that I see shanties on every winter.

When the ice is safe enough I certainly wouldn't mind crossing paths with some experienced folks who know what they're doing. I'm easy to get along with, don't complain much, have the ability to listen/learn, can tolerate being out in the cold with the proper gear, and I can guarantee that I possess and i.q. of at least 90-95.

I have a definite interest in panfish for the good eating, but other species as well. Obviously I have an interest in Portage Lakes/Nimisila as well as wanting to obtain permission on that lake in Streetsboro. I'm interested in just about any spot in the state where the fishing is good and it's safe to eat what you catch.

I have a basic idea of what I need to get such as an auger, jigging pole, tip-ups, etc... And of course gear to stay warm.

Just wanted to give a quick introduction, thanks for reading.
"The farther he goes, the more he realizes that he is standing on slippery places and if he allows himself for one moment to lose his simplicity and humility, a fall is inevitable."

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Welcome friend your in luck! The NE Ohio pan fish tournament series is heading your  way. We have stops at portage lakes,nimisilla, wingfoot,mogadore, and mosquito . Check out the tournament section of the site for updates. As we get closer to that time we will post dates and info. Thanks for joining and see you on the ice.
Nate (ntoiceman36)
Director NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Welcome to the site. You might also want to post under looking for a partner board as guy' in your area can hook up with you.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Welcome!  You're always welcome to come out with me. I'm always on portage in the winter. Just ask anyone on here!   ;)
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
welcome,  yep you are also welcome to go with me, so the first things to get is a set of cleats for your boots and pics, spud bar. so come on down ......
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Aristarchus

• View Profile
Thanks everyone!!! I will be around and will definitely be in touch. Now my upcoming trip to Florida during the first week of February might be a bit of a challenge.

It's hard to believe that December is right around the corner, I'll start looking into gathering the necessary gear soon.
"The farther he goes, the more he realizes that he is standing on slippery places and if he allows himself for one moment to lose his simplicity and humility, a fall is inevitable."

Vexilar