Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Cleats/Spikes

G.M.T · 14 · 11586

G.M.T

• View Profile
How's it going guys. I was just going through my gear and found only one of my spikes. It seems i may have lost one last year. Now I recall having a really hard time keeping my spikes on last year. I bought cheap ones last year because I was able to adjust the size of them to fit any boot/shoe i was wearing.

Just to sum it all up, I need new cleats, and would like to buy a nice pair, but I'm worried I won't be able to find some that fit. I have size 14 boots and they are pretty thick. Anybody have any options that might work out for me? It would definitely be helpful.

1BigIcehole

• View Profile
GMT,
I like my Yaktrax XTR, they have big spikes and will go over a larger boot. I have 13 boots. They go on and off easily.

Make sure you get something with spikes on the heel also, I had some that didn't, and kept landing on my a$$ when I wasn't paying attention to my footing.

Icehole

Badgerstate36

• View Profile
Yaktraks. 
Just a Badger/Packer fan living the dream in Buckeye country.

fishingful

• View Profile
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/all-purpose-cleats?a=495360&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-PLA&utm_medium=PLA&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=CI&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=WX2*0154625000000&gclid=CIv6wb7nmskCFYkBaQod6AcJUQ

I have used these for years. I have size 14 boots. They work great and never come off. New ones are a little tight until the rubber stretches some. Never worry about slipping or falling.

z400wolverine

• View Profile

Badgerstate36

• View Profile
Yaktraks. 
??
I think your response was even shorter than mine was.  ;)  I guess what I should have said is that Im a big fan of Yaktraks.  I use the Walkers.  No need to go all crazy and get the fancy ones, IMO.

fishingful

• View Profile
I know a couple guys that have dedicated ice boots and put short sheet metal screws in them. Just don't forget and walk across some hardwood floors lol

Badgerstate36

• View Profile
I wonder if you could take some ice screws like what they put in ATV and motorcycle tires.  Theyre a bit shorter than sheetmetal screws and would make me a little less anxious than drilling sheetmetal screws into my boots.

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
I have used sheet metal screws for years now,they work great,if one comes out just put in another. I did get me a new pair of korkers ice jack boots this year,can't wait to try them out!
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Lol.you know I was screwing around online one day looking at ice gear (surprise surprise) and I came across a guy selling screws as ice cleats for boots. Think he was charging like 9 bucks a dozen. Lmao. Guys a genius. As for me I used a cheap pair of strap on cleats last year and they worked ok but I upgraded to yaktraks this year. A workwear store around here was going out of business and had em for like 7 bucks. They seem much nicer

handymanjeff

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Fishing...The ONLY way we'll walk on water!
    • View Profile
I used the cheap ones for years and constantly cussed them. Finally invested in Kahtulas(spelling?), they are pricey but worth every penny I paid for them(Microspikes). I won't use anything else. :)
Jeff Gunn

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
FishStyx Custom Rods
Vexilar
Open Water Wear
Grandpa Bob's Custom Jigs
Rajus
Ardent Reels
Eurotackle
Grund-L Custom Lures
Zeko Shoes
Liquid Mayhem

z400wolverine

• View Profile
Called the 888 # from my previous post,they was out of the new style for a week now,guy I talked to didn't like new style and wanted to get back to the 22 spike per sole cleat,took my name and # to check into things.I was also ordering the bulky strap for the military boot. I will keep you up to date,they are in PA

Vexilar