Ice Fish Ohio Forum

1 or 2 man flip?

roosterfish

• View Profile
Second year iceman, and addicted. Kiser is my closest lake, but is over 1.5hrs away. I hope to hit it about 5 times, and maybe 15 total ice trips a year (if I'm lucky and the weather is right). Looking for my first shelter. 75% of my fishing will be solo.

Is it worth dragging a flip up for solo fishing?

Is it worth dragging a larger flip up for the additional room/ having space for a second fisher?

Is dragging a larger sled (30 lbs heavier) worth the extra space, and ability to accommodate an 2nd person?

Thanks,
Mark

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
I am also a 2nd year ice fisherman and also addicted. Lol. I fished all last year with just a plain sled and it was OK for the most part. That being said I bought a one man flip for this year. There were some days last year that it was just too cold to fish without being absolutely miserable. And other days when rain, snow, or wind made it awful. Also I like to fish after dark and once the sun goes down its real hard to stay warm. The hub shelters just seem like a pain if you move a lot like i do. And being able to just use it as a windbreak is a nice option. So I figure with the flip shanty and Mr buddy I should be more comfortable this year. I looked at the 2 man and was seriously tempted but I'm almost always fishing solo and it didn't seem like the extra weight was worth it. I'd just buy enough crap to fill it up and it would be even heavier. Getting it in and out of the truck seems like it would be pretty tough by yourself. But that's just my opinion. Good luck out there

toadfish

• View Profile
I agree with 30inthabucket, a 2 man flip-over would be lots of extra weight to load, unload and drag around.  When you have more room, you tend to bring more gear.  Keep it simple so moving is easier.  My opinion is that moving will get you more fish on the ice than more gear.  There is also move space to heat, more space required to store in the off season and requires a bigger vehicle to haul.  Mixed should produce lots of good gills and crappie.  I heard there can be good perch there too.  Best of luck this season!
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

Fishin 2

• View Profile
If it was me by myself, thinking a one man would suffice, if ya want to take others with you, get a pop-up. I have a 1 man clam fishtrap pro, a touch bigger than the nanook, love it for myself but I fish erie a lot and use a atv or snowmobile to pull my frabill magnum with 100 lbs of gear !!
Then you add 2 guys fish at 100 lbs and you have a load.Alot of good sales on the 1 man now, don't wait, Mike
Take a Kid Fishing, You'll need the help Carrying Fish  !!

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
For solo a 1 man is the way to go. I had a 2 man for years and went down to a 1 and love it!  The sled size for a 1 man is the same as for a 2 man, but the tent is mounted in a different direction. This eliminates a lot of fabric, pole, and extra seat weight without cutting down on gear storage weight. If you add extra people, a hub style will work well as it's light and can be thrown in the sled on the 1 man. Also get the Teflon ringers for the 1 man and silicone around the bolts and nuts when you install them so your sled stays waterproof.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
I like one man flips for their portability I also like insulated fabric versus base models due to better wear and tear...not as much for warmth although it's an added plus. Eskimos new Evo is a combo of a flip and hub and comes in both a 1 man and 2 man
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Totally agree on the insulated fabric. But I like it because it's drier inside. No condensation forms, so no wet gear when you fold it up. Also keeps the support poles from rusting.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Just looked at those evos. Pretty slick idea. See what the reviews look like after guys use em for a season, but it's def a neat concept

Vexilar